Gmail's Finally Giving Windows XP And Vista The Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I seriously doubt that the people most affected by this will actually care very much. They can still access their mail in the html version, right? If they're as outdated as they are, they won't really care about the lesser security...

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Quick Cryoburner, don't forget to flush your RAM after shutting down that OS you got running from a USB drive!

G

I always run a few rounds of Memtest86+ after shutting down my OS. Then I remove the USB drive my OS is on, cover in with a latex pouch, and swallow it. That way, the data is securely contained for 24 hours.

The government is never going be aware of my subversive activities!

G

^^ Oups, maybe I shouldn't have posted that.

You guys know how to delete posts? Guys?

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I've got the feeling that many of the individuals (like myself) have more than 1 machine. I have an XP machine with older hardware merely to play older games that just plain do not play nice with windows 7 and above. Same reason why I keep a large portion of my machines as 7 still today (minus the laptops that come with 10 or my dual boot system I'm running here). Businesses on the other hand is another story altogether. Mom and pop shops running proprietary software are the ones that are going to suffer.

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

I believe its related to the Gmail April fool's prank where they changed the default send option to "Send and Archive" or something and added the minion mic drop gif to the sent mail. It back-fired in a big way cuz people weren't aware and it messed up their mails.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
considering I despise all of gmail's enhanced functionality outside of mass marking of files, I have defaulted to html for years now. I honestly just see this as a perk to using an older os and almost wish I was on xp just to take advantage of it.

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Security aside, for those of us not shooting for the moon, aren't into the gaming and only use the internet for emails, "fact checking", sending basic word docs (no fancy whatevers), XP has been just fine. In fact I remember reading how one developer whose material was so hi-tech, none of his clients could open it... they're still on XP! Tech as he was he developed a program to convert his data... I suppose you'd say "backwards" so his clients could read it. I've been content w/ XP... works for me.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Well this is not what I wanted to hear at all!
I have been using an older version of Chrome for the past few months now, since Chrome no longer supports the Google Talk plugin that I require to make voice and video calls on.
The popups are a bit of a pain, but I can live with them.
Shunting me onto the basic HTML version is not a good idea at all as it defeats the purpose of actually having an email program! If I wanted basic HTML I could just use text messages or whatsapp!
Thanks Google... for continuing to make things a pain for everyone!
(And btw I am still on Windows 7, as I prefer it compared to Windows 10. I also have two XP machines that are staying XP for compatibility reasons.)

Phuket

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2015
ALIDAN Feb 4, 2017, 2:54 PM
considering I despise all of gmail's enhanced functionality outside of mass marking of files, I have defaulted to html for years now. I honestly just see this as a perk to using an older os and almost wish I was on xp just to take advantage of it.

I am writing this on my XP PC and have been using Outlook Express since day 1. My emails on my computer go back to 1996. I haven't had a virus in over 12 years. Help! What am I doing wrong?

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

PeterBB

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I'm with you! What's the problem? Mentioning that you're still on XP at a cocktail party is like fessing up to some kind of disease. Meanwhile, dare to ask them what they're getting out of 7, Vista, 10 or whatever the latest edition that they didn't have w/ XP and they can't give you an answer... that is unless they're into a range of graphic designs, system interfaces and the like but like any tool in my hobbyist garage, they all have a purpose and so far XP has covered my needs. If you're paying your own way w/ all of these upgrades it does get pricey.

I think it comes down to Microsoft could not strong arm folks in to windows 10 that failed so now they maybe strong arming companies that use windows and and make them go windows 10 or newer only or nothing at all

the only key to microsofts success is they got everyone hooked and trapped in to the proprietary dictatorship OS 's

lets face it only reason I use windows is for the ease of gaming out side of that Linux does everything else just as good or better for free to use and open source

if I could point and click inistall load and play all the games on Linux as you can windows they [Microsoft ] would be out the door

you can see from comments from articles as this a lot feel the same

http://www.pcmag.com/news/351565/amd-ryzen-processors-will-support-windows-7

''Microsoft will not add support for new processor architectures to Windows 7, it's up to AMD to produce all of the necessary drivers itself for both the processor and the AM4 socket chipset. It's unclear exactly why AMD would go to the trouble of doing this beyond making Ryzen accessible to the widest possible market.''

ya , AMD seeing Microsoft hurting there sales limiting the use of there products i'll bet it will work great out of the box under Linux

well looks like a update to that story [notice no public user comments anymore ]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3167279/computers/amd-sorry-there-will-be-no-official-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7.html

use to be they supported you and your needs but now you got to support them and there needs as in you do as they want not as you want - what do you think , that's your personal computer ???

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

right now its not clear at all what is going on with amd and windows 7
they validated that it works on both 7 and 10 but are only supporting 10
apparently an oem said they have both 7 and 10 drivers for their boards so they dont know whats up
Heres hoping I get to use the only current not crap version of windows out right now.

Honestly I hope that microsoft has a huge security breach where a hacker just gains access to everything they have stored, just so there is such a huge pr nightmare they have to completely nix telemetry.

Phuket

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2015

At such a cocktail party, you could ask "How do you like deskbands in Windows 7 and 10?"

I guarantee you will get blank looks.

goo.gl/vD0pv0

Status
Not open for further replies.