News Go Back to the '90s With Origin's Limited Edition RestoMod PC

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Cute sticker, but pretty weak attempt. I'd have expected a molded front at least, even if non-functional.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
That clear side panel and RGB makes it very hard for me to go back. If they wanted us to go back, they'd throw it in a generic looking beige box.

And add a turbo button for good measure.
The turbo button was the first thing I checked for. They do have it -- on the lower left of the front! The lower right button appears to be a reset button. Ah, nostalgia. Now I want to play old school Tie Fighter again.

I think the internals would look acceptable if they were blacked out. The RGB makes the inside look like any other modern PC build and distracts from the retro front.

Giroro

Splendid
They could have put a real disc drive or 2 in this thing. Beige Blu-ray drives are a thing that still exist... but instead the case is just as empty and pointless as every other modern mid-tower. No SD-reader, no open bays, no expansion space, no nothing - except for the odd USB on top.
People nostalgic for the old-school aesthetic don't want RGB and side windows. They basically want the PC version of those mini-NES systems - maybe with modern hardware, maybe retro - that depends on the user. People nostalgic for the thick steel and workhorse functionality of old cases want, well, functionality. They want a case built like an old one but maybe with a few quality of life improvements.

What we have here instead is a cliche and immature HARDC0R3 GAMERZ0RZ PC in 2020's most average generic case... but with a lazy sticker on it. That makes me sad.
Almost as sad as realizing that 1337 H4X0rZ are probably going to be the target of Origin's next major innovation in lazy sticker technology.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Retro?
Here's what my current computer looks like:
Front%201.jpg

No 5,25" floppy drive though...

That is a tacky case. And not just because of the retro front panel styling, but because the retro front panel styling amounts to nothing more than a flat decal. Even those front vents appear to be decals.