go back to win8 with no cd/usb drive? just using the iso doesn't work, which is what I usually do

Jul 10, 2018
I don't wanna buy a thumb or cd drive just to go back to windows 8, I've been able to just double click the iso and run the .exe of everything until this point, I tried last month but I forget the error I got but it got to the part where it updates the installer I'm so close

Windows installation will not go backwards it will only UPgrade not DOWNgrade your version.
Without buying anything your only option is to make a partition and install windows 8 there then boot into windows 8 and disable the dual boot/delete the windows 10 partition (if it's on one)

Jul 10, 2018

Thanks so much but I can't choose which partition to install to, any ideas?

If you can't handle the windows partitioning tool then use a free partition manager (like minitools partition manager) and shrink the right most partition to create a new one (even if you leave the space free or uninitilized windows can install on it) and install windows there,if the install program still refuses use VMplayer or virtualbox to create a VM and assign the partition as a drive and install windows inside the VM then use easybcd,also the free version,from your normal windows environment and not inside the VM to add the partition to the boot menu.
Keeping windows separated from other files/data makes it easier to revert things or even delete the partition whenever you want,because as soon as you boot into that partition you will be able to delete windows 10 or whatever you have right now and install win 8 there.

Jul 10, 2018
ok wooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm on 8 but now my partitions are like this:

D is C in windows 10, E is D which contains 8 virtually, "Disk 1" was created for this easybcd bootup I guess, C is this it was set to dynamic 40gb, but having it with disk 0 and 1 and the letters being changed now is above what I'm used to so if you know what to do here please let me know

update: I tried to shrink "e" with windows partition and of course got the usual error, so I tried minitool for "d" and "e" and I got an error "FILE_SYSTEM" and bluescreen but I think it was for only "d" because I've got 123.2 gb unallocated now, but I can't figure out how to get that down to "disk 2" so I'm gonna stop before I blow my computer up lol

Jul 10, 2018
//////////////////////////////!!!!!!!!!!!!!!newest update: I installed a couple times over to try and flush 10 out lol right now the pc turns on shows the splash then right into 8 no easybcd I was scared to mess with that but I guess it's noob proof, and my mouse seems to be fine again

if you have anything I should do to make sure I'm all good let me know please, if not I guess I'm all set, if this were still a virtual windows I think it would tell me like it did below and not let me install over it, thank you so much man 10 is the only OS I've ever had any problems with even vista was 100% smooth for me and they're just outright lying about things and trying to get people to spend unneeded money now, I moved to 10 on the first day it was available and finally being back on 8 the speed the way everything including basic features like left clicking and copy and paste it's all just working again I am so happy thank you so much
/////////////////////////////////////////////!!!!!!!

--------------------
--------------------
OLDER TEXT
--------------------
ruh roh I dark theme'd windows 8 and it did stuff to windows 10, and I tried to run the 8.1 iso in 8.1 but it says I can't install windows in a virtual machine I figured maybe I could install it over "disk 0"

ok I decided to try again and ran the windows 8.1 iso from inside windows 10 and the install actually went through this time, but this is what I originally tried and you even said yourself I can't downgrade from 10 to 8 plus there's two windows.old folders now one has (1) after it and I'm still getting the left click issue so there's still some 10 in here mucking about

I got brave and combined them but I have a 512gb hard drive, I know it doesn't all show up but I can't remember if that much was missing before

minus the mystery missing gb's it looks like a normal windows 8.1 install now but again the left clicking bug from 10's still here

TRENDING THREADS