Go for EVGA 650 GQ or Corsair RM650x?

Beta_Ravener

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I've made my research on PSUs and came down to choosing between these two. They both seem to be pretty good, the only relevant difference I can see between them is the price:
EVGA 650 GQ - 94€
Corsair RM650x - 107€
So it's about 13% difference in price.. not so much when considering cost of the whole rig, but still reasonable to think about it. I can't really decide right now after whole day of comparisons, so I'd like to hear some fresh arguments. The goal is to have a well-performing, silent PSU, and I like that they are both modular (although I could live without that if that was the only reason for higher price). Is anything wrong going with the cheaper one? Maybe popularity, support,..
Thanks!

Solution
The EVGA 650 GQ is actually semi-modular, while the Corsair RM650x is fully-modular. Both are good quality PSUs. Although the GQ series "only" has a 5-year warranty, the RMx series has 10-year. I would personally get the RMx series, but, based on the specs you listed, the 650W is overkill. I'd look into getting the Corsair RM550x.

Alternative could be the EVGA SuperNova G3 550 (7-year warranty, fully-modular).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You can't go wrong with either, but I don't see any reason not to opt for the GQ at the lower price. A quality, FSP-made unit, modular etc.

The RMx lineup is quality too, but I wouldn't pay the 13% premium for it.

Do you truly need 650W? If so, I'd opt for the GQ myself.

For most people, somewhere between 450-550W is more than sufficient. In which case, you can't go wrong with the G550W from SeaSonic - Forgoes full modularity though, but a quality PSU for ~75EUR (depending on your specific location, of course)
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/DPCwrH/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

Beta_Ravener

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I guess I should've listed the components, had it in mind but forgot at last..
There will be:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
MEM: Kingston HyperX 3200 MHz
GPU: Gainward GTX 1070 GS
MOBO: Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3

I would like to have some headroom for possible overclocking in the future, but it's true that these new components have rather low TDP. The PSU Barty referenced is around 80-85€ price tag in the least expensive shops (that barely knows what PSU is) and the more mainstream sellers have it for close to 100€. Duh. Otherwise it looks like a great PSU too (still has enough modularity for me).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Realistically, the build you have there is <300W at max (stock) draw.... 65W CPU, 150W GPU.
Allowing for the balance of the components and some overclocking, a quality 450W PSU would be more than capable.

By chance are the new Corsair CX450M or CX550M available in your area? (Still don't know where that is).
Only the CX450M and CX550M. Not the CX500 or CX430 or CX750 - those were poor PSUs, but the new options are quality..... and (fairly) cheap in the US/Canada.... no idea about elsewhere.

Beta_Ravener

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Hello from Slovakia :) but I actually have also Czech market available.

Anyway, now we might be getting somewhere. The reason why I was looking at 650W is because they are generally the same price as 550W (literally, maybe 2-3€ difference). However these CX550M seems to get at reasonable price of ~67€, which is considerable saving against CX650M which is ~80€. I can't say that I'm really glad for having next PSU in list, but I'm going for the reviews and might thank you in the end (kidding, I'm already really thankful). Anyway, thanks also for choosing between the two earlier. And also thanks to Lucas, it's true that I neither could find a bad review for Corsair, that's why it was such a tough choice.

The EVGA 650 GQ is actually semi-modular, while the Corsair RM650x is fully-modular. Both are good quality PSUs. Although the GQ series "only" has a 5-year warranty, the RMx series has 10-year. I would personally get the RMx series, but, based on the specs you listed, the 650W is overkill. I'd look into getting the Corsair RM550x.

Alternative could be the EVGA SuperNova G3 550 (7-year warranty, fully-modular).

Solution