Go for it?

Feb 2, 2019
Is it worth upgrading from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 2060 with my specs?

My specs are:
MOBO: MSI b250 gaming pro

RAM: Ripjaws 8gb 2800

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600 3.5 GHz Quad-Core

1tb Hard Drive

(Right now i have 60hz but im upgrading to 144hz. Also upgrading MOBO so i can get 2 more ram slots so I could get 16gb in total)

WORTH is something only YOU can determine.

That is definitely a strong graphics card upgrade.

Try this test:
Run your games but reduce your resolution and graphics quality.
If your fps improves your cpu is good enough to take advantage of a stronger graphics card.

Do not upgrade your motherboard to get 16gb.

Instead, sell your existing 8gb or keep it as a spare and buy a replacement 2 x 8gb ram kit.
Adding another 8gb is not guaranteed to work.

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

What is your plan "B" if you buy a new motherboard and an extra 8gb only to find that it does not work?

Your question appears to be simple, but I can't help but provide a detailed response:

What is your main game or games to play?

Reason I'm asking: I own two 1060 6 GB cards and I'm also considering upgrading one of my rigs to a RTX 2060. I also own three 1080p 144 Hz displays, so I'm familiar with what's possible to achieve that performance level. Lately I mainly play Overwatch and Fortnite. If your GTX 1060 is a dual fan, then you could comfortably use the automatic overclocking utility built into MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X. They will automatically overclock the core, but not the GPU memory.

Display that I own three units of: AOC G2590FX: 1080p / 24.5" / freesync / g-sync compatible / 144 Hz / 1ms response TN panel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D377Q6D/
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160350
* note: I paid $189.99 (x 1) to NewEgg AND I paid $199.99 (x 2) to Amazon.

** Personal game settings **

Overwatch: 1080p / ultra / dynamic reflections medium / g-sync enabled (on freesync display)

Fortnite: 1080p / high / shadows off / view distance far / g-sync enabled (on freesync display)

What is your upgrade budget? Were it my money, I would forgo the motherboard upgrade and invest between $90 - $115 into a 16 GB (8 GB x 2) 3000 MHz (or 3200) kit. Why? Your Intel Kabylake platform is dead, meaning discontinued. Therefore I would not invest anymore money into it. Why the 3000 MHz? That way it would future proof your purchase, in case you care to upgrade to the future Ryzen 3000 series (Zen 2) architecture. Check customer reviews and product description to assure that it supports overclocking on Ryzen platforms. If it does then it will almost assuredly overclock fine on Intel based platforms, keeping in mind that your current B250 chipset only allows memory overclocking to 2400 MHz anyway. Your current RAM: I would sell on Ebay and use the money toward a tier 1 quality power supply. I'm partial to EVGA G2/P2 (efficiency) 550/650 (wattage). The prices cycle about every other week on NewEgg, therefore next week would "probably" be a better time to purchase. With that said, what is your current power supply's manufacturer and model?

WildCard999

Titan

Sell your current kit and buy a 2x8gb kit as memory is finicky and even adding in a identical 2x4gb kit may not work, plus this should be cheaper then having to replace the motherboard and buy more memory.