[SOLVED] Go for speed or go for max ram?

Maximus4

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
Hy, my current pc is reaching its limits for playing heavy games like mw or heavy programs. My pc is almost 10 years old but it's time to realy upgrade to the ultimate; that is available atm. I have almost everything. Now its down to my ram. I have it narrowed to 2 options that are suiting my build: G Skill F4-3600C18Q2-256GTRS or the G Skill F4-3200C14Q2-128GTRS which is faster. But i also fancy more value for my monney. The price diffrence is only +-130 euro, but for that i feel i can have double the amount of ram. My build is for a AMD Ryzen trx40 3970x threadripper on the Asus Zenith Extreme 2 motherboard. I chose the threadripper, since i have more value on the cpu; then if i whent with the faster intel cpu. So what do you think?

Last edited:
Solution
Why do people buy a Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche, when a Prius does the job aswell?
The past 10 years i always had in mind that one of these days my next pc would be my ultimate dream desktop build. So now i am living the dream and i wanna enjoy it for as long as i can. You only live once, so why not have the best things in life that you want; when ya have worked for it? I may not need all that ram now or near future, but if i ever do need it; i will have it and not have to buy annother ram kit. With the excess amount of ram ya can make a ramdisk aswell, i will make good use of it annyways. I will post a picture when my build is up and running, now i am looking for a case. Thinking about the corsair 1000d obsidian supertower...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hy, my current pc is reaching its limits for playing heavy games like mw or heavy programs. My pc is almost 10 years old but it's time to realy upgrade to the ultimate; that is available atm. I have almost everything. Now its down to my ram. I have it narrowed to 2 options that are suiting my build: G Skill F4-3600C18Q2-256GTRS or the G Skill F4-3200C14Q2-128GTRS which is faster. But i also fancy more value for my monney. The price diffrence is only +-130 euro, but for that i feel i can have double the amount of ram. My build is for a AMD Ryzen trx40 3970x threadripper on the Asus Zenith Extreme 2 motherboard. I chose the threadripper, since i have more value on the cpu; then if i whent with the faster intel cpu. So what do you think?
Since your coming from a i7 2600K and 16GB of memory this is probably more PC than you would need.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor | $689.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $209.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $294.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1194.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-19 09:20 EDT-0400 |

Maximus4

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
Having more RAM than you need adds little to no benefit. Not having enough RAM for your needs seriously hurts performance. How much difference faster RAM makes depends on what you are doing.
That is verry true, i have looked into the ram matter more closely on youtube on how to select your ram kit. There is a good video from linus tech, about the new AMD cpu's and in relation to ram memory; for those AMD builds.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk

It helped me decide what to choose and the ram kit is on it's way.
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DR4-3600MHz-CL18-22-22-42-1.35V256GB-(8x32GB)
Thank you for your feedback. (y)

Maximus4

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
I hope you don’t mind me asking but what are you doing that needs 256GB of RAM?
Why do people buy a Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche, when a Prius does the job aswell?
The past 10 years i always had in mind that one of these days my next pc would be my ultimate dream desktop build. So now i am living the dream and i wanna enjoy it for as long as i can. You only live once, so why not have the best things in life that you want; when ya have worked for it? I may not need all that ram now or near future, but if i ever do need it; i will have it and not have to buy annother ram kit. With the excess amount of ram ya can make a ramdisk aswell, i will make good use of it annyways. I will post a picture when my build is up and running, now i am looking for a case. Thinking about the corsair 1000d obsidian supertower; plenty of room inthere.

256GB of RAM for gaming? It's probably worth pointing out that today's games won't even utilize a full 16GB on their own, and 32GB will likely be plenty for future games for a number of years to come. You certainly don't need 8 times that much, and any unused RAM will just be sitting there, not doing anything.

Even a 64GB kit would be overkill for a gaming system, unless you have some other specific task in mind, like high-resolution video editing, that might potentially utilize that much RAM at some point in the foreseeable future. Maybe a RAM cache could possibly benefit from more than 32GB, but any data stored in it will need to be read into RAM off the SSD or other storage each time the system is rebooted. How much SSD storage is in the system? That would probably be a better place to spend money if you have a large game library. If you want to go overkill on RAM, even 64GB should be overkill.

The past 10 years i always had in mind that one of these days my next pc would be my ultimate dream desktop build. So now i am living the dream and i wanna enjoy it for as long as i can. You only live once, so why not have the best things in life that you want; when ya have worked for it? I may not need all that ram now or near future, but if i ever do need it; i will have it and not have to buy annother ram kit. With the excess amount of ram ya can make a ramdisk aswell, i will make good use of it annyways. I will post a picture when my build is up and running, now i am looking for a case. Thinking about the corsair 1000d obsidian supertower; plenty of room inthere.
Each to their own but a Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche drives a lot better than a regular car even when keeping to the speed limits. They are also a fashion/style statement. I don’t really see the comparison as you get zero benefit from what I can see but hey if you want it just because then nothing we can say will change that. Sometimes you just want what you want, enjoy.

Solution
What I think is that you are in a hurry to buy and are likely wasting your money.
Sorry, not what you want to hear.
Threadripper is fine if you have multi threaded apps but not so good for gaming.
256gb ram is way overkill.
I7-10700K would be a much better gamer. I9010900K would be even better(if you could find one)

Maximus4

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
Ofcourse i did not bought a threadripper for single purpose of gaming; nor the ram. I think i am not in a hurry, since i have started buying parts in the begining of this year. A lot of months have past since i bought annother part(s). And i look things up aswell before i buy them. Benchmarks,.. for excample for the cpu. But annyways it's like sizzling said when ya want something ya want something. The comparison i was trying to make was, that people or car enthusiasts buy ther fav car w/e it is or ther dreamcar; just like i am putting togheter my dream pc build ..regardless the performance looks w/e. That said i do believe my build will look amazing and will not be troubled to w/e ya throw at it. Not for gaming, not for editing; w/e. So thank you all for your feedback, cheers 🆒