go rambus

G

i'll actually be the one person to support rambus (at least for the time being), although i will not stick up for intel choosing them exclusively in the first place. rambus is an easy target, because their product is so expensive and forced a change that hadn't been seen before. kind of stirred up the waters. as far as them suing everyone, wouldn't you if someone else were profiting off you're ideas/technology/product. "you" just don't want to see prices go up so you delude yourself into thinking they are more evil than any other big corporation you buy from. it makes me laugh thinking of micron or samsung or countless other big companies in the industry as a "good" guy or supremely fair compared to rambus. as far as the ftc thing goes it could all be a pr front for these companies. they must know the support from the "people" they have or at least how much "we" hate rambus and what better way to rally supporters than say :rambus violated an open source agreement". if the ftc or anyone else proves that rambus violated this agreement then i'll go back 500% on what i've said, but until then GO RAMBUS and you all sound like you're whinning about higher prices rather than what's actually fair or just.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I like rambus technology but I dont like rambus business practices.

I wonder if AMD, Cyrix, Transmetta, ... are allowed to use rambus on their products?? Im yet to see a non Intel using rambus other than gaming consoles.

Maybe Intel has worked a deal where they are exclusive in use of rambus in PC market. That would make sense if Rambus wants to be exclusive on Intel products.

mpjesse

Splendid
Bad news for ya- no one is stealing their technology. Their suing everyone because these companies are refusing to pay royalties- and I don't frigin blame them. RDRAM is an awesome technology- no one can dispute that. But, Rambus is a shitty company pissed off that memory companies "betrayed" them and designed DDR. The sad part is Rambus is going after AMD and Micron saying DDR technology is exclusive to Rambus! DDR technology isn't even remotely close to RDRAM technology. If you've noticed though, Rambus has laid off with it's lawsuits. Now, the FTC is investigating THEM. Now the tables are turned.

I agree that Rambus has stirred waters and brought out DDR to the mainstream- but if they really wanted to make it they should have lowered the royalties on their memory so ppl could afford it. They screwed themselves.

One thing is true: the technology that always makes it is the one that JEDEC approves. Colabrative efforts always win. It was a little ridiculous for Rambus to think that their memory technology would be the standard for all PC's- don't you think?

-MP Jesse

G

sorry should have been more specific. research why rambus is suing the companies that use and implement ddr (and sdr). it has nothing to do with the difference between rdram and ddr sdram. rather rambus claims to have patents on "141 technologies relating to the way synchronous DRAM chips and inline memory modules work, how they interface with the host CPU." (from Rambus sues Hitachi over SDRAM patent violation
By Tony Smith) this being true rambus has every right to sue companies that don't pay royalties using this technology, which happen to be just about every company making chipsets and memory. i've already said my bit on the ftc... we'll just have to what they come up with.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you know it's so funny, a lot of the ppl that are so vocal and against Rambus have no problem buying up the latest PS2's and N64. come on ppl look around you HAVE brought Rambus(rdram) technology, hahahaha!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 02/09/01 11:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don’t claim to be an expert but this is why I don’t like Rambus, correct me if I’m wrong.

1st They were secretly patenting technology at the JEDEC meeting which were supposed to be open technology.

2nd If Rambus gets there way it means higher prices for me (and all if you) which case, why would anybody support that?

Thx & cya

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
lowlypawn is more correct than you-or haven't you heard that Rambus is now being sued for patenting open technology that they took from Jadec meetings? Many of those patents may soon be ruled illegitamate. It would be like if I went out and put a patent on the steering wheel and then sued all the car companies for using them.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Yes, that's what I heard from all my tech freinds. Crashman and lowlypawn got it right. Rambus patented technology that was developed in meetings by all the companies.(JEDEC? is that it?)

As for you meltdown, nobody is talking crap about it not performing in their PS2's and N64's. Rambus makes good stuff, nobody doubts that(look at the previous posts).

I'm not saying I drink beer all the time, but beer isn't just for breakfast anymore.

G

They would support it because they might have a [-peep-] load of shares in the company, stand to benefit in other ways, genuinly believe that it is better than DDR solutions or other.

My vote goes to the first and/or second reasons but other is a distinct possiblility because it does include everything not mentioned.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
RAMBUS is stupid. They enter an industry, start making crappy chips and then they think they own the whole damn thing.

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By all means read lowlypawns post. It quite simply tells exactly what is wrong with RAMBUS and why they will lose the war. This is why we should all avoid RAMBUS whether we are pro amd or pro intel. I remember a remark by Intel's own CEO stating his company had made a mistake aligning itself with RAMBUS.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Hit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
RAMBUS is stupid. They enter an industry, start making crappy chips and then they think they own the whole damn thing.

Sorry... I'm not flaming... Yes, Rambus is stupid. I just want to clear up that Rambus does NOT make chips. They are a R&D company that collects royalties from Intellectual Properties that other companies use.

Rambus has no capital, no production plants, no equipment, and no products to sell. WHEN Rambus folds a lot of people stand to lose a ton of money, particularly Intel. And there is no infrastructure to pay off the investors.

G

rambus? what the hell is rambus? oh, yeah, the "future of RAM" thing that ended up flopping..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-