[SOLVED] goCoax MoCA network - only one slave connecting at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2024
I have been using an ethernet over coax solution for a few years without issues (not sure what the technology was, but it wasn't MoCA). But since it was limited to 100Mbits total bandwidth I decided to upgrade to MoCA 2.5 devices from goCoax.

Here is what my setup looks like:
coax from ISP -> modem -> ethernet cable -> MoCA master -> coax cable -> MoCA splitter -> coax cables -> MoCA slaves

Now the problem is, when I plug everything in, only one MoCA slave will ever have a connection to the master. If I unplug it, another random slave will make the connection. When I connect all adapters to my splitter on the kitchen table with short coax cables and power them all on at once, they all work simultaneously.

What could be causing this issue? Are the cables too long (cable runs are approximately 30 to 60 feet each)? Do all adapters have to be powered on at the exact same time? Could the cheap splitter be at fault despite advertising MoCA compatibility?

The design you want to use is clearly allowed. Gocoax site has much more complex examples with stuff like tv also in the mix.

Maybe try gocoax support and see if they have any ideas. Unlike many other companies gocoax actually eventually answers questions.

How many devices do you have. Do you really need to use a splitter could you use simple T connectors. Those are as close as you can get to just twisting the wires together.

If you had said it never worked I would think a software thing but if they work on your table then it has to be the wiring somehow. You are well within the distance limits, I don't think it adds the total length of all the runs together only the point to point distance.

Ralston18

Titan
Would a loop of some sort cause such behavior?

No problem when the devices are all together with short cables and a common power source.

Versus spread out and perhaps on different power circuits.

However, if all worked for the preceding years then that may be a non-issue.

Unless there was some change made (knowingly or unknowingly) during the device upgrade.

Mar 13, 2024
Yesterday I was back home and continued to investigate the issue. Through some trial and error I figured out that the coax outlets were the cultprit, they do some additional filtering that isn't compatible with MoCA. When I connected the adapters directly to the coax cable behind the outlet, everything started to work perfectly fine.

I had also reached out to the goCoax support, they were quick to respond and could have probably helped me fixed the issue eventually as well.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Status
Not open for further replies.