GoFlex Drive not detected ONLY at computer power on

mikefr

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
My recently-acquired 3T GoFlex Desk external drive is not detected when I first power up my Windows 7 computer. But if I unplug and then replug the USB cable, the disk is recognized, at which point it shows up in Device Manager and also as my G drive. From then on, it works fine, even across non-power-off system restarts.

This problem didn't occur with my earlier 2T GoFlex drive, using the same USB port. Since I use my GoFlex for scheduled backups that usually run right after the system reboots, it's important that the drive be available at that time.

I've tried various things, such as adjusting my Windows Power settings to prevent USB ports from ever powering off. I also uninstalled the Windows driver and then let the drive be reinstalled by plugging in the drive. If I do a system restart, the drive is picked up, but after my computer has been completely powered off, when I turn it on and Windows comes up, the disk doesn't show up, either in Device Manager or Explorer. I then must unplug and replug the USB cable, at which point the drive is discovered.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mikefr

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Here is an update. It turns out that after I uninstalled the driver and then let it be rediscovered by unplugging and replugging in the drive, I have not had the problem. When I wrote the above, I guess I hadn't yet powered off and on my computer after doing this, to see if it worked. So, I guess the driver had somehow gotten corrupted and reinstalling it seems to have fixed the problem.

TRENDING THREADS