GOG Galaxy Hits Open Beta, Allows Online Multiplayer Crossplay With Steam Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
As much as I like Steam, I'm overjoyed to see more competition for it. Too much nonsense with regional locks recently (which I am a victim to, residing in India which is now grouped in with CIS by Skeever Annex, and I'm offended because I'm not a permanent resident and don't want to be locked by this "only playable in..." BS). And this cross-play thing is indeed an extremely useful measure. Too often I hear stuff like "oh all my friends are on XBL so I'll buy an Xbox". PC gaming scene shouldn't have that.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Talking about crossplay on PC is kind of silly isn't it? It would be something if you couldn't play with other PC users just because of where you bought the game

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I only just bought my first game on GOG a month ago (Heroes of Might and Magic III of course!), but I might just install this once it's out of "beta". I don't really have any problems with Steam, but I do like the idea of DRM-free games, and GOG and their sister-company CDProjekt are worth encouraging and investing into.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I only just bought my first game on GOG a month ago (Heroes of Might and Magic III of course!), but I might just install this once it's out of "beta". I don't really have any problems with Steam, but I do like the idea of DRM-free games, and GOG and their sister-company CDProjekt are worth encouraging and investing into.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
The fact that they are touting "crossplay" as a feature is pretty hilarious. I have never bought a game on steam and not been able to play with people who bought the game from walmart. Asinine. "YOU CAN PLAY PC GAMES ONLINE WITH OTHER PC GAMERS." No doi.

Anything but Origin, amiright?

Yup.

The fact that they are touting "crossplay" as a feature is pretty hilarious. I have never bought a game on steam and not been able to play with people who bought the game from walmart. Asinine. "YOU CAN PLAY PC GAMES ONLINE WITH OTHER PC GAMERS." No doi.

That was what I was thinking too. Unless the game is exclusively using Steamworks and Steam servers, you can play it with pretty much any other version purchased.

So I am not too sure how that is a feature.

I wouldn't mind Steam getting some competition but one thing holding them back that I can see is that most major games wont forego DRM to be on it unless it takes over and even then they might just skip it and use their own digital distribution platform, which would be awful since Origin and UPlay have been such marvels.....

Status
Not open for further replies.