going back to previous version question

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Does going back to a previous version of windows make you lose everything on your pc like a fresh install or anything you installed after the windows update

Solution

It depends on the system.
I could take from 15 seconds to several minutes.
I use the combination when testing software and drivers and the system hangs ...

Which version of Windows do you have now and which previous version are you referring?

USAFRet

Titan

It depends.
What versions, how long since the upgrade, what type of upgrade....

Details, please.

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

current version is windows 10 1803 and ever since i did it iv been having random system freezes which makes me have to hard restart the pc

USAFRet

Titan

You need to determine the cause.
It may be the update, it may not.

Or, a clean install of 1803 could fix everything.

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

never had any freezes with the previous version but iv also noticed alot are complaining about it aswell

USAFRet

Titan

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

well judging by the issues iv had how would you say i should go about checking because i dont fancy reinstalling windows completely as it would take me to long to get everything back again with my internet being as slow as it is and the only thing i have thought about is going back to the previous version to see if it persists on that because as mentioned previously its only been with this new update

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

i still call it a freeze almost but i think others call it a hang because i cant do anything but i still have mouse movement and can hear sounds from the pc but when checking the event viewer i dunno what i should look for on that

Update: i just checked the event viewer to see if any errors happened within the hour the the freeze/hang happening and there wasnt anything

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

just as i edited the last post there was a gpu driver that is for version 397.93 so i just updated to it and seeing if it does anything
to also note some people did say on the web that a possible solution to the freeze/hang was doing the key sequence win+ctrl+shift+b to apparently reset the video or something but that just completely froze the pc for me

That key combination just release and restarts graphics drivers (empty video buffer, resets, etc), but it also might do the same to the keyboard, mouse, sound chip, etc.
The computer might appear to be frozen, but it could take several minutes for drivers to load.

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

oh so its not meant to be instant like having a gpu driver install and reinstall

It depends on the system.
I could take from 15 seconds to several minutes.
I use the combination when testing software and drivers and the system hangs .
It helps when a game get stuck and also when your computer doesn't completely awake from sleep..those times when you see the PC lights are on but the screen is blank.

Solution

InfinityEu

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

yeah iv only recently found out about it after these issues with 1803