going from 1200p 24' to 1440p 27' or 4K 28': visible difference?

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hello,

I am hoping to soon get a new monitor, but since I live hours away from any large computer stores, I need help to choose a monitor. Also, I live in Japan, and since the prices are higher than the US, and some models imported, I am limited in my choice.

My current PC: core i5 4690, GTX 970
I will get a new PC soon, powered by i7 7700, and a 1080 Ti. for which I am looking for a new screen.

I sit usually sit 50cm (less than 2 feet) away from my screen.

I now have the Acer p243w (24', 1200p, 60Hz, TN), and am looking at either the Dell S2716DG (27' 1440p,144hz) for 500$ or the Acer XB281HK (28', 4K, 60Hz) for 600$. They are both Gsync, and TN.

My eye sight is 20/20 with glasses. I mostly play single player AAA games, RPGs, and action. When I look at my screen now, I feel quite satisfied but then again, I have never played on higher resolution, so I don't know what I am missing on. I usually am very sensitive any time the fps drops under 60 fps, which is why I picked two gsync monitors.

Would I be able to tell the difference between 1440p and 4K at that distance?
Is the gap between 1200p and 1440p noticeable?

Thank you,

David

Solution
It usually does, smoothness is a huge factor, and it just looks stunning running that well.
If you haven't had a 144hz monitor before it's nothing like 60Hz. Gradually it would lower, yes, which is why you might consider G-Sync, but keep in mind that you could also just upgrade your GPU, and at 1440p it'll remain more powerful for longer.
Yes you will be able to tell the difference in both cases, although the 1200p-1440p one will be smaller.
With your new PC go with a Ryzen 1700, has twice the threads and performs identically to a 7700k in gaming above 1080p, meaning it's more applicable to different applications and better at multitasking while matching gaming performance, and costing much less.

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks. I wish I could get the Ryzen but as usual here in Japan, I wasn't able to find the Ryzen+GTX 1080ti combo. I would have to get separately, which would be more expensive.

Combos are usually ripoffs designed to get rid of less desirable motherboards and RAM.
It's fine, what retailers are you using?
A Ryzen 1700 and decent B350 board with 4 RAM slots (The cheapest you can find) will be good, then you just need high frequency RAM and you're set.
If it's too much hassle that's fine though.

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Actually, the whole PC is a set. I can't get into details, but it was easier for me to get it that way.

I am using PC koubou, a Japanese retailer, with good online discounts and good after care service.

May I ask what monitor you are using?

Ah okay that's fine then.
You mean my monitor?
I'm using the Acer XB271HU since I get supplier discounts from running a store part time.
It's generally overpriced for what it offers.
Get an IPS 1440p 144hz monitor like the MG279Q, G-Sync is an unnecessary addition with a 1080 Ti, just adds to the cost.

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
The MG279Q is 650$ here. Also, I was hoping to get a gsync so that in a few years, even if the card is not enough to push 4K at high details, I would feel less stutter than without gsync.

But then again, it all depends on how much a difference there is between 1200>1440 (with 144hz) and 1200>2160

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I tend to play mostly single player games, and rpgs, like the witcher 3, fallout 4. So I am not really sure if the extra refresh rate would make a big difference, but I guess we all are differently sensitive to speed and resolution.
For the gsync, I was thinking of hitting mostly in the upper 50s with a 1080ti, but it would gradually get lower months after months. In that case, wouldn't it make sense to get gsynch?

It usually does, smoothness is a huge factor, and it just looks stunning running that well.
If you haven't had a 144hz monitor before it's nothing like 60Hz. Gradually it would lower, yes, which is why you might consider G-Sync, but keep in mind that you could also just upgrade your GPU, and at 1440p it'll remain more powerful for longer.

Solution

David Taquet

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
A few months ago, I saw a 4K video of andromeda on a 4K tv, and it just blew my mind. But the TV was at least 40'.

You make a great point about the longevity of a system. I think this summer, I will go to the next big city and visit a computer store. It is a 5 hour drive, but should be worth it.

Thanks again.