Question Going from 8700K to 9700K?

Jun 28, 2018
Well, I own an Intel I7-8700K paired with ROG MAXIMUS X HERO and my main question is if it's worth selling it and buying with a small difference the 9700K. Since I haven't win the silicon loterry as well (my piece is pretty hard 4.7GHz @ 1.26V) and the CPU itself is a bit hot would it make sense?

I'm not the type who changes hardware every once in a while, I only aim at system's longevity since I'm only gaming, maybe some stream if I finally get the proper internet connection. Also would MAXIMUS X HERO be enough to handle the 9700K?

Last but not least, I would consider waiting for RYZEN's ZEN 2 CPUs but then again I'd have to also change my motherboard, and I would find it as a waste of money and time since I personally believe that the next major upgrade it would be worth to do, would be when DDR5 platform is introduced.

Kind regards,
TheTiesThatBind

Last edited:
There is negligible performance difference between them, you are just rolling the dice again on the silicon lottery.

Let’s say you did get up to 5.0Ghz on your current cpu. That’s only an increase of just over 6%. This might show up in benchmarks but in the real world you are not going to notice it.

Jun 28, 2018
I don't care for benchmarks, as I said I care for longevity and performance in gaming. 9700K as I've seen provides more FPS than 8700K and has extra 2 cores but lacks of HT but yet again I don't care for rendering & 3D apps etc. The more it lasts the better it is for me. All I care about is CPU running cold and probably I wouldn't mind overclocking 9700K if I were to change it. 9700K being actually a soldered chip is a big plus as well.

I wouldn't take the risk to delid my current 8700K as well but thanks for the advices so far!