Question Going from Windows 10 - to Windows XP for software purposes

Oct 20, 2017
Hello, would it be possible to uninstall windows 10 and go to windows XP? The reason why I ask this question is because for a business we are required to run XP OS for a $4,500 software called Cepheid Software. This software requires only windows XP to operate, or that is what I was told. My concern is drivers when downgrading. We are hoping that this downgrade will work without any issues, we are not expecting to run these machines with heavy work loads or tasks. The machines we are planning to install windows XP on are Dell Inspiron 15 3000 models. (From what a business email said). Is this even possible without running into driver related issues?

Thanks!

RealBeast

Titan
Hello, would it be possible to uninstall windows 10 and go to windows XP? The reason why I ask this question is because for a business we are required to run XP OS for a $4,500 software called Cepheid Software. This software requires only windows XP to operate, or that is what I was told. My concern is drivers when downgrading. We are hoping that this downgrade will work without any issues, we are not expecting to run these machines with heavy work loads or tasks. The machines we are planning to install windows XP on are Dell Inspiron 15 3000 models. (From what a business email said). Is this even possible without running into driver related issues?

Thanks!
I strongly doubt it, depending on the specific model only Windows 10 drivers on the newer ones and perhaps back to Windows 7 on a few. In any case none have XP drivers.

Which Cepheid Software? I would expect that they would have a newer version that would be W10 compatible at that price.

Oct 20, 2017
I strongly doubt it, depending on the specific model only Windows 10 drivers on the newer ones and perhaps back to Windows 7 on a few. In any case none have XP drivers.

Which Cepheid Software? I would expect that they would have a newer version that would be W10 compatible at that price.

From the details I received, it seems to be a machine that was discontinued in 2004, and refuse to upgrade to the newer machines with the latest drivers because from what the business says "is to expensive and buggy, with the release of the newest machines" I do not have any access to the specific hardware of these laptops. What I do know is they are newer (cheap) but running with windows 10 which pretty much sums it up there. I believe they do not have the hardware and ability to do VM, which is something I am not very familiar with. It may be possible to try a Windows 7 OS.

Oct 20, 2017
A lot depends on the specific parts involved.
But these seem to be a pretty new laptop, so highly unlikely there would be any XP drivers for it.

What about running XP in a VM, instead of on the actual hardware.

Might be possible if they have the extra hardware for this. How would something like this be setup? I also know is they want to flash multiple of these laptops with XP OS, so there must be several computers that they want to run this software on

USAFRet

Titan
Might be possible if they have the extra hardware for this. How would something like this be setup? I also know is they want to flash multiple of these laptops with XP OS, so there must be several computers that they want to run this software on
XP natively on those particular laptops is almost certainly a no-go.

Given sufficient RAM, a VM is relatively easy to set up. I say relatively, because it does take a little computer smarts to set up. Especially when it needs to talk to ancient hardware.

This is a screencap of an XP install running in an Oracle VirtualBox VM, on a recent Win 10 system. XP on the right.
I did this as a test, because someone stated it categorically could not be done.
o12Xs4t.jpg

RealBeast

Titan
From the details I received, it seems to be a machine that was discontinued in 2004, and refuse to upgrade to the newer machines with the latest drivers because from what the business says "is to expensive and buggy, with the release of the newest machines" I do not have any access to the specific hardware of these laptops. What I do know is they are newer (cheap) but running with windows 10 which pretty much sums it up there. I believe they do not have the hardware and ability to do VM, which is something I am not very familiar with. It may be possible to try a Windows 7 OS.
Some versions of Windows 7 had XP mode, which worked well but may not work with your devices. I would strongly suggest doing a test machine before buying laptops that may not work. Always best to plan, then test, then do.

The machines we are planning to install windows XP on are Dell Inspiron 15 3000 models. (From what a business email said). Is this even possible without running into driver related issues?

Thanks!
Those are haswell based so XP should be possible but finding all the required drivers will be difficult.

As a business you could ask dell to tell you which drivers would be needed, if you pay them they might even give you a package.

If you have the possibility get one laptop and test it out.

Are you sure you can install that software on anything else than what it was licenced for originally?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so long as the laptop has virtualization support, then it can handle an xp vm. 1 core and 1 gb of ram is more than enough for an xp vm. xp was out when we were at 128 mb or ram for many systems and dual core cpu's were just showing up. i just made one in virtual box with a single core and 256 mb ram with no problems.

you do of course need to see the software requirements to give the vm what it needs to run the software in question. but otherwise, there is no reason you can't run an xp vm on any new hardware unless virtualization is turned off in the BIOS and can't be turned back on. even a cheap current laptop is stronger than anything we used to run xp on :)

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks!
The biggest question that needs to be asked of your bosses is what about the security issues with XP and software that only runs on XP. How much of a business risk is that? Are these hosts on a business network? If so that entire network could be compromised.
BAD IDEA from a security standpoint.

Oct 20, 2017
Those are haswell based so XP should be possible but finding all the required drivers will be difficult.

As a business you could ask dell to tell you which drivers would be needed, if you pay them they might even give you a package.

If you have the possibility get one laptop and test it out.

Are you sure you can install that software on anything else than what it was licenced for originally?

I am curious about that, It might work but I doubt it, I could try it on a test machine

Oct 20, 2017
The biggest question that needs to be asked of your bosses is what about the security issues with XP and software that only runs on XP. How much of a business risk is that? Are these hosts on a business network? If so that entire network could be compromised.
BAD IDEA from a security standpoint.

It is not apart of a large network, simply for running some tests. Otherwise I agree with what you said. Usually a one would expect the newer OS to be better than a far older one

Oct 20, 2017
so long as the laptop has virtualization support, then it can handle an xp vm. 1 core and 1 gb of ram is more than enough for an xp vm. xp was out when we were at 128 mb or ram for many systems and dual core cpu's were just showing up. i just made one in virtual box with a single core and 256 mb ram with no problems.

you do of course need to see the software requirements to give the vm what it needs to run the software in question. but otherwise, there is no reason you can't run an xp vm on any new hardware unless virtualization is turned off in the BIOS and can't be turned back on. even a cheap current laptop is stronger than anything we used to run xp on :)

Thank you for the details. I will look into VM and get some ideas!

Apr 9, 2021
A lot depends on the specific parts involved.
But these seem to be a pretty new laptop, so highly unlikely there would be any XP drivers for it.

What about running XP in a VM, instead of on the actual hardware.

why you say this!
Win xp is BETTER than new windows 10 even if it is an OS of 2001!
I prefear to install win xp on a computer and not in a VM!
I'm writing this in 2021 and i'm using my new pc: when i bougth it the pc had win 10 but i downgraded it immediatelly to XP!

WINDOWS XP IS FANTASTIC! :)

USAFRet

Titan
why you say this!
Win xp is BETTER than new windows 10 even if it is an OS of 2001!
I prefear to install win xp on a computer and not in a VM!
I'm writing this in 2021 and i'm using my new pc: when i bougth it the pc had win 10 but i downgraded it immediatelly to XP!

WINDOWS XP IS FANTASTIC! :)
Then you should be THE authority to inform the OP on how to install XP on new hardware.

Go for it.

Apr 9, 2021
OP = The Original Poster, the person who asked the question.

"Hello, would it be possible to uninstall windows 10 and go to windows XP?
"The machines we are planning to install windows XP on are Dell Inspiron 15 3000 models. "

FANTASTIC!
I WILL MAKE VIDEO TUTORIALS AND I WILL PUT THEM HERE IN THIS COMMMUNITY!
THANKS FOR THE IDEA!
CAN WE BE FRIENDS?
DO YOU KNOW THAT I'M ITALIAN BUT I KNOW ENGLISH LANGUAGE A LITTLE?
I LIVE IN ISCHIA!

BYE BRIEND!