Going Medieval With Ubisoft Montreal's 'For Honor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
god i feel terrible for the guys that made chivalry. that game was and is still absolutely amazing. this looks like a straight rip from that game

Both Chivalry (I've spent way too much time playing that) and this look like mediocre implementations of the melee genre. Perhaps it's just me setting my standards too high - sure, compared to other existing implementations, they're good, but the bar has always been low. In Chivalry you have (rather broken) real-time control of a swing, but limited actual swings themselves. In this game, it appears that you basically have 3 swings and 3 blocks and that's it. And the way that the combat system is described makes it sound horribly... targeted. As in you basically select someone to swing at and a direction to swing at them from and that's it. Even compared to chivalry, that's a major step back in terms of control.

Note: I have played a lot of chivalry, and while the gameplay is addictive and mostly fun at low levels, when you do some screen recording and actually analyze the gameplay, it's just plain broken. Playing with over 80 ping is unplayable, "dragging" causes whiffed hit detection, "dragging" in general is a mediocre implementation of real-time swing control, and the game severely suffers from "everything-feels-OP-syndrome" - where no matter what class or weapon you use, it will always feel worse than what your opponents are using. Also, if you bring up these issues with the limited community or the developers (who, despite major bugs in the game for the over 2 years it's been out, still haven't fixed most of them and instead develop skins to sell) you will be dismissed as a heretic.

TL;DR - I think Chivalry's a mediocre implementation, though my standards may be a bit high. In terms of actual combat, "For Honor" hardly seems an improvement, based on what is described here. At best it will get more polish and better overall gameplay if those mechanics are set.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I'm down for swords and shields but didn't most people back then use pikes and other long armed weapons? This type of game has been needed for years on consoles. I conceived the idea once and saw a couple games come up like War of Roses etc. Really excited to play this with friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.