Going to build a new PC, should I wait for 7th gen intel CPU's?

sethwilliam

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I've been considering building another PC as I sold my last one and have been using my laptop to get work done for the past 6 months. (I despise laptops but need the mobility)

While I was reviewing parts for a new skylake build I read that intel's 7th gen CPU's will be released on january 5th. Not sure if that is just a rumor or fact.

Should I wait for the new intel cpu's or go with a skylake build. There is no urgency in the matter so I wouldn't mind waiting. Will the 7th gen CPU's use a new socket and offer better performance?

Solution
Kaby lake (7th gen) will use the same socket 1151 at Skylake. There will be new Mobo with the 11 series chipset but most 10 series (skylake) boards will take the new chip with an updated BIOS.

As to performance, the gains aren't earth shattering. The biggest gain actually seems to come from a slight uptick in clock speeds with somewhat better thermal headroom.
Kaby lake (7th gen) will use the same socket 1151 at Skylake. There will be new Mobo with the 11 series chipset but most 10 series (skylake) boards will take the new chip with an updated BIOS.

As to performance, the gains aren't earth shattering. The biggest gain actually seems to come from a slight uptick in clock speeds with somewhat better thermal headroom.

Solution

sethwilliam

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Do we know when the chips are due to be released?