Going to buy a e6600 tonight*quick responses needed*

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well tonight on new egg im going to pick up a e6600 for $223 with free 3 day shipping witch normally comes in a day. i have a biostar 945p motherboard with support for core 2 duos but i was wondering will this still make my videocard be bottlenecked. i have a 8800gts 320mb and im running with rite now a pent. D 820 and a gig of ram and i get about 40fps on high in css and sometimes it maxes out at 120fps at texture maps. so will the new processor help this bottlenecking. also about the stock intel cooler i have a asus cooler and i got it for about 15 bucks and i think its really doing a great job and i love how it mounts with screws. my pent. d is at about 23-25C rite now so should i just stick with this cooler and Arctic silver?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i think u should go with the e6600 as it will not bottleneck with your 8800gts. i think it will not even bottleneck with a 8800ultra. but if u r in a hurry then buy this e6600 or else wait for the price drop and get an either e6850 or qx6600.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
agreed. Just wait for the price drop and you can get a quad core for just a little more. Now is not the time to be buyng C2Ds.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
when is the next price drop and my motherboard dont even support quad core. and my moms going to go out now and put 250 onto my prepaid visa card so i can order it.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
okay i was off 3 bucks but all i want a processor that will blow away my pent D 820 and the cheapest quad core is like 575 and from what im reading in the reviews its not worth it because its not true quad core just like 2 dual core processors on 1 board. and the e6600 from what i see is a good overclocker so theres potential to make it faster when it starts to slow down

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
i was reading that there going to be 260 in the summer when is this like soon cuz i really need a new processor and if i do get the e6600 is there any way i could like return it and then get the quad core??

well i was thinking about it more and i would have to also get a new motherboard because the 945p chipset only supports up to dual cores

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Now I feel bad :( .

Truth is, it's not really worth upgrading the proccesor until you get a new mobo. 945 is really old and I think you'll be much more satisfied waiting. It may seem tough, but it will really be worth it.

The "not being native" thing is wrong. quad core will destroy dual core in multi-tasking and -threading in any land.

Btw, what RAM do you have? DDR1 or 2?

Price cuts will take place 22 July, bring the q6600 down to $266.

And finally: the return method would be eBay. There is no other way I am aware of of swapping it.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The E6600 is a nice chip; you won't really feel the urge for a quad core in gaming at least until early next year, so if your priority is gaming, go with the E6600 and the next time will be the right time to upgrade everything . I'd also advice you to keep your previous cooler since the Intel stock cooler is notoriously problematic.
P.S: Unless your room temperature is 10°C or below, it's very unlikely that your 820 is idling @ 23-25°C; if you're reading it from asus probe, it's actually your CPU sensor mounted on the motherboard, not the one on-die. For that (the real core temperature, I'd suggest using something like TAT, CoreTemp or better RMClock (because it also allows you to tweak from windows the SpeedStep/Cool'n'Quiet drivers of your CPU, allowing you to customize power settings, undervolt etc.)

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well i just did some math and i will mow my grandmas lawn about 11 more times before then so thats about 220 bucks rite there and that just lawn mowing money. so i figured that by then i could get a good motherboard that supports quad core then get the mobo and processor together. i was thinking hows 680i boards with quadcores?

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well i just did some math and i will mow my grandmas lawn about 11 more times before then so thats about 220 bucks rite there and that just lawn mowing money. so i figured that by then i could get a good motherboard that supports quad core then get the mobo and processor together. i was thinking hows 680i boards with quadcores? and i have ddr2 ram 1 gig will prob upgrade to 2 gigs in future. and i just called my mom and told her that i dont need the money on my visa card any more and on july 17th praying that ur rite ill order a new motherboard and the quad core to get her

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Woah! unless you want sli (hint:you don't) umm (seriously, you don't) 680i is pointless. 965 is decent and overclocks good. I wouldn't get 975 though (old).

quad core support list
Uh, all 650i and 680i boards support quad core afaik.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
well i just did some math and i will mow my grandmas lawn about 11 more times before then so thats about 220 bucks rite there and that just lawn mowing money. so i figured that by then i could get a good motherboard that supports quad core then get the mobo and processor together. i was thinking hows 680i boards with quadcores?
You've got to make yourself a simple question; DO I NEED A QUAD CORE NOW?! The answer IMO is "NO" because 99.9% of games won't use more than 2 cores. Maybe, as I said, you will need it next year, and then the prices will be even lower than this summer's price drops, the newer 45nm chips will be out and many other goodies; Just wait for the right moment to make the right choice; now it's neither the right moment, nor the right choice, so get the E6600 and wait for the quad.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I have to say I disagree. If he can get a cpu which will last him at least 2 years for almost the same price as a cpu which he will likely replace in 8 months, why should he not just wait 2 months?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I have to say I disagree. If he can get a cpu which will last him at least 2 years for almost the same price as a cpu which he will likely replace in 8 months, why should he not just wait 2 months?
Because 8 months is not that little time and he's talking about upgrading the motherboard too, while if he upgrades now and then after 8 months, he gets a motherboard with a brand new chipset, brand new CPU model, DDR3 and who knows what and that kind of brand new stuff, not only lasts, it ROCKS for 2 years.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well im only 14 going to be 15 in october i dont get money to upgrade my pc every 8 months and when ever new technology comes out. i figured that my pc is good enought to last me 2 months playing css on medium and using aim. but by the time crysis comes out i will have a good pc and probally wont have to upgrade for a while,who agrees?

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Yea, I know about being young....

Anyways, don't worry about quad-core or 680i for now. Assuming your motherboard supports it, just get the e6600, and be done with it. Your computer doesn't always have to have the latest and greatest stuff. But I know how that feels because for some reason I think my X1950Pro is old! :lol: Feels that way with so many people with 8800's.

But yea, just get the e6600, and you'll be fine.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E6600&c=fr&show=r

I'd buy there instead maybe and get a non-stock cooler. Just my two cents.

If you buy an E6600 to go with your 8800GTS you won't be disappointed, provided you have enough fast RAM. The faster processor will only help in certain games, not all games. Some games won't require much CPU power while others will require a LOT like Supreme Commander. The E6600 should last you a few years and the quad cores will be great, but who knows what they'll cost and how viable they will be. Typically speaking, upgrades aren't always the best option. Sometimes it's better to just build a solid system that goes even on bottlenecks (ie your video card matches your processor) and then sell it as a whole system. Like they're saying about your motherboard, you may want to save up and buy a new system all at once.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well bassically thats what im doing cuz in july ill be getting a new motherboard processor,ram and keeping my 8800gts case,hard drive,dvd drives and psu.and would the quad core be better in gaming than the e6600 and how would it perform in a game like crysis. and the thing is that i dont mind waiting cuz i have plenty of time to wait cuz i dont need it right away. also one last thing how does this q6600 overclock cuz im planning on getting some water cooling for my birth day.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
hi
first thing is first that if u are going to buy a new mobo then try to buy a bearlake from gigabyte because it is a bit cheaper, i have seen the prices but i assume like ds3 it would be cheaper. this is the future mobo and it will support penryn. if u are going to buy a cop only then get a e6600 because it can overclock a lot. u buy this cpu and overclock it. ull be fine. but remember that directx 10 games are coming and there are many rumors that they will support multi threading, thus quad core will do the job. but if u go for the quad core then u would have to buy a mobo and this will be a bit costly. so go e6600 im sure u will love it. i also have pentium D 820 will change it in july and get a quad core.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well i have about 250 to spend on a new motherboard when that time will come. also how is overclocking on the q6600 u think u can hit 3gz