Going to buy i5-4690k... Please help

cpuzombie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hello,

My main work on PC is video editing on Premiere Pro and image editing on Photoshop. But I don't want Ferrari like speed but a decent performance when rendering 700 - 900 MB 720p to 1080p upscaled videos with some basic Premiere Pro special effects. Now should I go for i5-4690k* ? Also I'm looking to buy B85 chipset motherboard as I don't want to overclock the CPU, just want to use it for my work.
Will be there any speed difference if I choose B85 Mobo over Z97 ?

*On a tight budget.

Solution
It's not meant to scare, rather just to let people know. That would be a worst case scenario regarding older motherboards but it's not impossible and has happened to folks. Many people will see an attractive price tag and figure why waste the money. Even if they look into how many pcie slots it has, there are multiple things to consider beyond that. It's not to try to get people to spend a fortune for features they'll never use but rather to consider what they do need and then consider options that meet those needs. I've done it myself and then wished I had this feature or that since I tend to keep my builds for around 5yrs. Maybe not the first year or two but halfway through system ownership - then I have one of two options, upgrade...
What is a 'tight' budget? Are you looking for a cpu upgrade or a full system build? I wouldn't recommend a b85 motherboard with the 4690k. An overclocking cpu (k) series is really only beneficial if you plan to overclock it and to do so requires a decent enough platform with a motherboard that has the vrm's for it. Some older chipsets like b85 will run newer cpus but are intended to be upgraded with a bios update to allow newer cpu's to run on existing hardware. It's not an ideal solution when putting together a new build, you may end up stuck in a position where the board needs a bios update and could require an older cpu to be installed in order to do that. Obviously if someone already had a b85 board, they'd have that older compatible cpu to do the update. Some people have had to borrow older cpu's, buy a 'cheap' older cpu (which is a waste of money for a bios update) or return the motherboard for one that's compatible.

Is this a pc you plan to use for editing work, editing and gaming, a bit of everything?

cpuzombie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Thanks You for reply :)
Look, I have 12 GB RAM, Hard Disk and Monitor. Now have to buy Motherboard, CPU, Cabinet and PSU. And if B85 is older chipset then would be there any performance difference than newer chipsets ?
BTW, I want to use it for mainly editing and little bit of gaming..

Wazero

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

but what is your budget? we can't help you unless you tell us a price point.

cpuzombie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

My budget is around $600.

Maybe something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $578.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 06:33 EDT-0400

The define case is pretty decent, good airflow, quieter than some, comes with a couple of decent fans. Some cheaper cases aren't so cheap when you factor in having to add fans to them, a couple fans can easily run $30-40.

The older chipset likely lacks features, not so much performance but also relies on older outdated bios code which can make for compatibility problems with newer chips. You start getting into well does the bios revision support the cpu I wish to run on a particular b85, multiple revisions exist on store shelves so which one will I actually get. If it's an old one, can I update the bios? Does it support usb bios flashing without a cpu or does it require installing an older compatible cpu to then update the bios just to use the cpu I wanted to in the first place. If I can update it via usb, do I have another pc I can download the bios to and hope the bios flash goes successful. Usually it does, sometimes it doesn't. If the bios flash fails, the motherboard is likely bricked unless it has a dual bios feature. Too many headaches to save a few dollars and a lot of monkeying around to make a modern chip work on outdated tech. A bios upgrade to allow newer chips is great for existing b85 owners who don't have to worry about hunting down an old cpu to make the bios upgrade. It helps extend their existing hardware and make it more forward compatible with newer cpus to extend the longevity of the motherboard. For a new build it's just not practical in my opinion.

I can understand where saving money is always a plus, no one wants to overspend. On the other hand, there's such a thing as cutting corners to the point you get burnt. Not to say this is exactly what would happen, but hypothetically someone gets the cheapest motherboard they can. Component quality may suffer, such as static from audio ports, usb ports burning out, vrms which get overheated under load because they're budget regulators, a person gets their $40-50 board and goes great it only has 2 fan headers. Where am I supposed to plug in my case fans? Or gets an older incompatible bios which either runs the cpu poorly or not at all. Now they have to waste time hunting an old used cpu or buy a 'cheap' older cpu which is going to be at least $40-60. Had someone just spent the extra $20-30 up front they could have avoided all those potential headaches and pc downtime when a new build should have been up and running already.

cpuzombie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Holy CoW ! You just scared the crap out of me... No, I will go with the motherboard you have mentioned. Thanks man :) But I can see you have included a Xeon. Can you kindly tell me why i5-4690k is not good for video editing ? Is it very slow when using Premiere Pro with upscaled 800 - 900 MB videos ?

It's not meant to scare, rather just to let people know. That would be a worst case scenario regarding older motherboards but it's not impossible and has happened to folks. Many people will see an attractive price tag and figure why waste the money. Even if they look into how many pcie slots it has, there are multiple things to consider beyond that. It's not to try to get people to spend a fortune for features they'll never use but rather to consider what they do need and then consider options that meet those needs. I've done it myself and then wished I had this feature or that since I tend to keep my builds for around 5yrs. Maybe not the first year or two but halfway through system ownership - then I have one of two options, upgrade and buy a whole new motherboard just for the features my budget board lacked or try to find a work around using add on cards or something. Usually a motherboard replacement unless it's the same exact model requires a reinstall of windows.

In terms of the xeon, you said your main work done on the pc is video editing and rendering. That's an area where hyperthreading can help. I'm not sure which version of premiere pro you're using, I do use photoshop but not premiere. Looking at the list of supported gpu's for gpgpu acceleration in the program, the r9 270x (despite being decent value) isn't listed. The r9 280 however is for premiere pro cc 2014 and 2015. Prior versions like cs 5.5 or cs6 only list nvidia cards. If spending on a gpu may as well be one that will work with your programs. Some portions of rendering can be boosted by using the gpu in premiere pro.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($182.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $628.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 08:42 EDT-0400

If this system won't be for gaming at all there are less expensive cards which will still work with premiere pro like an r7 265. Even older compatible nvidia cards are pretty expensive for this budget, running $200+.

The i5 isn't bad at video editing, the xeon will probably perform a bit better though at this budget. I don't know how long it would take, when it comes to video work there are 5 different ways to solve the same problem. It would depend on the size of your source file, how many effects you incorporate, which ones you use, etc. Some people will resize in another program or use an addon through after effects with removing interlacing then using bicubic sampling. One filter or effect could hurt your total processing time worse than 2 of a different type. Trying to find benchmarks for this sort of thing are difficult since everyone's projects are a bit different.

This article is a bit dated (2013) but may give you some help since you're looking to do video upscaling.
http://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/upscale

Solution