Going to buy some parts (MoBo/CPU/Ram). Came down to 2 Choices, and my mainly concern is the RAM and the "FutureProof"

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hi!!

I'm upgrading from my current system (FX,GTX 650Ti).

I'm planning on getting a 1060 3gb in the next months, but in the next week Im planning to get Mobo/CPU/Ram.

My monitor is 144hz (just took it for CS:GO :p ) and my PSU is CX 500 Corsair.

1st Choice:

Ryzen 2600
Asus B350 Plus
Patriot DDR4 2x4GB 3000mhz (here it says it works with the Asus? https://www.anandtech.com/show/11624/patriot-publishes-list-of-amd-ryzen-compatible-dimms-up-to-ddr43400-up-to-64-gb)

2nd Choice:

i5 8400
ASROCK B360M PRO4
some cheap DDR4

Use:

Gaming , Computare Languag(Python,etc) and Simulations that use both Parallel and Serial Configuarion.

Price: 2nd is ~40 dollars cheaper.

I don't know if the Memories on b350 will work on 3kMhz?

and will I be needing new Mobo if I want to upgrade let's say in next 2 years??

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Personally, if it were me: I'd much rather go for the 1600. I'm a video editor/content producer, and although I initially used my 2700X for gaming (it's good at that, too), I REALLY appreciate having the overhead that has permitted me to stream, edit, render, and do so much more. Unless you're ULTRA-competitive, you'd definitely be getting better value from the 1600. Both chips are very good for your system, but I'd lean towards Ryzen.

Also, the CX isn't the best make of PSU, but you have a BIT of overhead for OC'ing, though it probably isnt worth doing.
To answer a few of your questions along with some suggestions:

FutureProof is a REALLY broad term. Personally, the 2600 would have to be the most future-proof of the two, given that its platform is confirmed to be supported until 2020, while intel's next major release will more than likely require a new board. That RAM SHOULD work fine with Ryzen. What I would be more worried about is if the board natively supports the new Ryzen processors, since some of them ship out with old BIOS revisions. AMD has a program to fix this, but it does take quite some time. If you could, I'd advise checking with the seller to confirm the latest CPU's are supported.

If you can, I'd advise getting the ATX version of that board, it's only $5 more expensive, and likely has a bit better componentry to it: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

Personally, I think the extra $40-45 is worth it, if you ask me. The intel processor is a little better for games, but in terms of productivity/"future proofness," I'd have to suggest the AMD system here.

EDIT: Whoops Im tired, my bad viet.

Nothing in computing is "futureproof"

You will be pleased with either option.

I might consider the I5-8400 option as a bit more tolerant of an upgrade.
The ASROCK AB350M PRO4 motherboard is for amd only, the i5-8400 will not work on it.
You need a lga1151 motherboard with a 300 series chipset,
B360 is probably the cheapest, but if you go with a Z370 based motherboard, it will allow you to overclock a future "K" suffix upgrade.

If you go ryzen, double check that the ram you pick is supported, not all ddr4 is supported.

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I'm aware of the Bios Update, im not worries.

The RAM SHOULD?

What is Should? :p

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I mean b360 asrock pro

Sure :)

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-3000MHz-Channel-PV48G300C6K/dp/B0157UPYZ8

this is the Ram i found :)

Well, it's showing up on Team's website as tested with the 300 series boards, so you should be good to go! Only issue is that it's not on the board itself in terms of QVL, but that's probably just due to specific models being left out/speeds not running fully etc.

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Should I wait for next GPUs to come out?

So I go with the Ryzen over the i5 with this ram? :)

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Alrighty!

By the way. You suggested ASRock AB350 Pro4, while my choice was ASUS B350 Plus.

Isn't the second one better?

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

So you are telling me I should go with i5?

Billy_31

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

If it was you, what would you do? :)

I mainly gaming on PC, and my CPU is CX 500 Corsair. Can it handle OC on ryzen?

Or just take i5 and Plug an Play? (Can also go for 8600 nonK)

Personally, if it were me: I'd much rather go for the 1600. I'm a video editor/content producer, and although I initially used my 2700X for gaming (it's good at that, too), I REALLY appreciate having the overhead that has permitted me to stream, edit, render, and do so much more. Unless you're ULTRA-competitive, you'd definitely be getting better value from the 1600. Both chips are very good for your system, but I'd lean towards Ryzen.

Also, the CX isn't the best make of PSU, but you have a BIT of overhead for OC'ing, though it probably isnt worth doing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS