Going to get a laptop for College, Is 512gb SSD enough?

RelyableKookie

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I am going to college soon and my parents told me to start looking for a laptop. I really like the New Dell XPS 15s, here is the specific one

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=dncwx1630h&variant=33:AD2&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop#overrides=dncwx1630h:33~AD2

However my main concern is the only storage it has is a 512gb SSD. I will be going to business school and will most likely be working with more accounting programs and be saving lots of Microsoft office documents. I have been using the same laptop for the last 4 years and it has 640gb storage and i still have 311gb free. But i know as programs update they take up more room. I only play a few games and they are the only ones i have downloaded. Besides that all i use is google chrome,spotify and skype, along with Microsoft office
Do you think this will be enough for college? i

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
One of the things you should learn in business school is how to organize your information.
This is a good way to get some practice in: Get an 1-2tb external HDD and learn to earmark what can be relocated to a storage medium that does not have instant accesibility.

512gb should be fine on its own though. Most likely the only thing you'll really have to relocate is all the hours of videos of yourself presenting (yes, that will be a thing).
You could probably get to your 2nd/3rd year before you actually have to invest in an HDD, except you should probably do that regardless and set up an automatic backup. As projects get longer your lost data becomes proporionally more painful.