[SOLVED] Going to replace a 2TB Seagate SATA drive with Crucial MX500 500GB Internal SSD

mjmuk

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi I am looking at replace a 2TB Seagate SATA drive with Crucial MX500 500GB Internal SSD and then put all my data onto the reformatted Seagate 2TB original disc.

Clearly the 500GB SSD will not accommodate all the data that is currently on the Seagate 2TB disc with only 450GB free.

So my plans is to (after making full backups etc.) to move all my data temporarily over to another external 2TB USB drive and re-point all the C:\Users\username\ documents, pictures, videos etc to that external USB drive.

Then using the Acornis True image tool from Crucial, move all the windows and other programs over from the Seagate 2TB to the new 500gb SSD.

When that is done I am assuming that the Data path to the external USB drive will still be active.

Once that is done I will then reformat the Seagate 2TB drive and move all the data from external USB drive over to the newly reformatted Seagate drive and adjust the C:\Users\username\ path accordingly.

Is this the way to do this or am I missing something? Or is there a better way to carry out this reconfig of my desktop disks?

Looking forward to any feedback and comments.
Mike

Solution
Currently I have about 1,580 GB taken up with Windows10, Other Programs, Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Videos, Music leaving approx 480 free.

Which way do you suggest to do this?

Mike
To clone into a 500GB drive, the actual consumed space MUST be below 400GB.

Don't relocate the /User/ folders.
While that can be done, it just adds complexity and fail potential.

Instead, copy the files residing within to some other drive.
Create a few folders on that other drive...MyDocs, MyPics, etc.
Copy the files, not the Libraries, to these newly created folders.

See what that does for your overall space.

Then we can delve into how to clone this.

mjmuk

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Currently I have about 1,580 GB taken up with Windows10, Other Programs, Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Videos, Music leaving approx 480 free.

Mike

USAFRet

Titan

Mike
To clone into a 500GB drive, the actual consumed space MUST be below 400GB.

Don't relocate the /User/ folders.
While that can be done, it just adds complexity and fail potential.

Instead, copy the files residing within to some other drive.
Create a few folders on that other drive...MyDocs, MyPics, etc.
Copy the files, not the Libraries, to these newly created folders.

See what that does for your overall space.

Then we can delve into how to clone this.

Solution