going to upgrade i need GPU Recommendation

spikekicker

Reputable
Aug 29, 2018
hi
right now i have Gigabyte 280x windforce and i'm having overheat problem that the card when the load between 90 to 100 the heat keeps going to 100 then it locks the clock to 500mhz to lower the load and lower the temp
i tried new thermal paste and new fans nothing
i live in egypt so the weather temp is between 30 to 40 in summer
right now i need a new GPU so should i wait for gtx 2070 or just pick gtx 1070 and what do u think is the best brand for the cooling?!

Solution
Hey, how does the rest of your system look like? 30-40 ambient temp is quite a lot and - as the good Windforce cooler shows - can be too much already in order to avoid driving your GPU into the temp limit. As there is not yet reliable tests on the 2070 performance and thermals I would suggest you to wait a little more. Consider that the release of the 2070 might also nicely impact the current price for a 1070.

Until then you may want to slightly reduce clock rates of your 280x to keep the temps within the limits. Yes, surely not the most preferred solution, but I feel its worth waiting a little more before buying.
When it comes to the preferred brand for your future GPU I would recommend either MSI or Asus. The air cooling solutions...

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hey, how does the rest of your system look like? 30-40 ambient temp is quite a lot and - as the good Windforce cooler shows - can be too much already in order to avoid driving your GPU into the temp limit. As there is not yet reliable tests on the 2070 performance and thermals I would suggest you to wait a little more. Consider that the release of the 2070 might also nicely impact the current price for a 1070.

Until then you may want to slightly reduce clock rates of your 280x to keep the temps within the limits. Yes, surely not the most preferred solution, but I feel its worth waiting a little more before buying.
When it comes to the preferred brand for your future GPU I would recommend either MSI or Asus. The air cooling solutions they put on their cards are really good and leave room for some tuning.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
when the load between 90 to 100 the heat keeps going to 100
My GPU gives off heat like a heater while running at 70c. If your 280x doesn't do that, it could be a mounting problem.
i tried new thermal paste
Did you use quality paste or generic paste?
You case should have 2 exhausts + 2 intakes. Less than that is not recommended with warmer rooms.
what do u think is the best brand for the cooling?!
For warm climates, water cooled cards are recommended. EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 HYBRID is an example.
should i wait for gtx 2070
Wait for the reviews if you intend to buy one.
going to upgrade i need GPU Recommendation
Depends on what you expect. 4K? 144Hz?