going with i7 7700k need case, ram, HD and cooling options/help

john00ten

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
hello building a new Gaming comp for my son .. decisions thus far;

Cpu- i7 7700k - bought (Should i have it de-lided?)
mobo- ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E - not bought
Gpu- MSI Armor GTX 1060 6gb - bought
Psu- EVGA G2 supernova 650w - bought

1st question is about cooler i was thinking about getting the Noctua NH‑D15, good choice? Also what other fans/size should i look to install in a case ..

2nd; i also need a case seen a few in the $70 range that i think would work, open to suggestions

3rd .. Ram .. with the above mobo an 7700k what is the best ram option to get.

4th also need Hard drive(s) that would pair with my build.

so many options i just need pro help!

thank you very much in advance for any help!
John

Solution
Of the same series? No.

Of different series? There may be some difference.

For example the 960 Evo is M.2 but it utilizes a four lanes of the PCIe3.0 bus with a theoretical bandwidth of ~3.94GB/s (the bus, not the device specifically), while the 850 Evo in either SATA or M2 form utilizes the SATA 3.0 bus with maximum theoretical bandwidth of ~600MB/s.

So if the M2 device does utilize the PCIe bus (these are advertised as NVME device) then it can be quite faster than those that utilize the SATA bus (although again, it'd take the high end NVME to have that 1-2 secs difference against mid/high end SATA while the low end NVME just barely edge out their SATA counterparts);

Otherwise, if both the M.2 and the 2.5" devices utilize the SATA...

john00ten

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Already bought the 7700k i may swap for the Coffee lake depends on the retail price ... will the ram/cooler differ from the 7700k to the 8700k?

Cooler is universal, ram may change, depending on MB compatibility but I assume new MB should accommodate recent rams.

FD2Raptor

Admirable

Noctua D15 is good but too big. Personally, I'd look into either the Scythe Fuma or Mugen 5 which would be out of the way with full RAM clearance.

The shape of the Intel mainstream socket hasn't really changed for quite sometime now and Coffeelake is still on LGA1151 (but for some reasons Intel decided that Coffeelake will not be compatible with current 100/200 series MB) so: no change to socket, no surprise incompatibility with CPU cooler. DDR4 will also be here for some time so no change is expected there for some time.

RAM: Gskill TridentZ for tall ones, Corsair LPX for low-profile ones; preferably ~3000Mhz CL15 2x8GB kit, 2666Mhz kit should still suffice, but 16GB is highly recommended because certain titles are already begin eating more than 8GB RAM @ 1080p.

As for cases, the gray version of Phanteks P400 is on sale right now @ $50 after rebate on Newegg. Black is ~$70. The Tempered Glass upgrade is about $10-15 more.

As for storage device, you'd want to have at least a 120/128GB SSD for the OS so that it would be more responsive. Larger SSD would enable you to put your games onto that SSD and benefits from faster game/map/sequence loading as well. But avoid the cheapest of SSD like Kingston A400/Sandisk SSD Plus/ Corsair LE200/etc... for they belong to the class of "DRAMless SSD", the latest development in cutting corner, speed and reliability for the lower price tag.

john00ten

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

THANK YOU for taking the time too help me out!!

So i have checked and i can return my 7700k so i will do so and get the Coffee Lake CPU when it comes out ..So then its confirmed the 270E mobo will not work with the Coffee lake cpu? ..After considering your advice i made a build via pcpartpicker pls look at it and tell me what you think .. if everything will work with the new 8700k cpu and will have to see about a new mobo but should have similar features as the 270e right?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jphnooten/saved/HHPnnQ

Thank you again for helping!!
John

FD2Raptor

Admirable
Excluding the CPU and MB which will be replaced with 300 Series MB and 8000 series CPU equivalent, I'd say you can opt for the cheaper 850 Evo and it would at most change the load time by 1-2 seconds. But with the HDD, the Constellation ES is no longer being produced by Seagate, so it's retailers dumping stock, but that price is not attractive enough for that purpose, so I'd recommend adding $10-15 for the Barracuda which is still supported by the manufacturer (i.e. the drive has full two years warranty).

john00ten

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

Excellent! TY ... have a question about SSD is there a difference between "2.5" & "M.2-2280" ?

FD2Raptor

Admirable
Of the same series? No.

Of different series? There may be some difference.

For example the 960 Evo is M.2 but it utilizes a four lanes of the PCIe3.0 bus with a theoretical bandwidth of ~3.94GB/s (the bus, not the device specifically), while the 850 Evo in either SATA or M2 form utilizes the SATA 3.0 bus with maximum theoretical bandwidth of ~600MB/s.

So if the M2 device does utilize the PCIe bus (these are advertised as NVME device) then it can be quite faster than those that utilize the SATA bus (although again, it'd take the high end NVME to have that 1-2 secs difference against mid/high end SATA while the low end NVME just barely edge out their SATA counterparts);

Otherwise, if both the M.2 and the 2.5" devices utilize the SATA bus then there's practically no difference between them other than the M.2 device would obviously occupy one M2 slot (and most MB currently only have two M2 slots) vs anywhere between four/six to eight/ten SATA ports that can be use for either HDD or 2.5" SSD.

In a different build, one could have chosen a M.2/PCIe only config together with a modular PSU so that they can forgo the SATA data&power cable completely which would result in the minimal amount of cables inside their PC (obviously this would be more expensive and can be a hassle if one need to add a SATA device later on and have to pull the PSU out to plug that SATA power cable in).

Solution