Question Gold and 1000W PCIe5 or 850W Titanium?

Have you searched for reviews of either?

The gold versus titanium issue would make next to no difference to me due to the miniscule difference it would make in my power bill......but you may have other reasons to choose one or the other, unrelated to your power bill.

Super Flower generally has a good reputation. As far as I know, MSI has only recently gotten into the power supply market and I have heard very little about their products.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Have you searched for reviews of either?

The gold versus titanium issue would make next to no difference to me due to the miniscule difference it would make in my power bill......but you may have other reasons to choose one or the other, unrelated to your power bill.

Super Flower generally has a good reputation. As far as I know, MSI has only recently gotten into the power supply market and I have heard very little about their products.

AnandTech's 2022 round-up put the MSI on my radar, but even they state that...

Best PC Power Supplies: Holiday 2022

"For users who only care about the best possible overall performance and quality and do not plan on getting a 4080/4090, the Super Flower Leadex Titanium 850W clearly is the better choice."

At the other end of the argument, I can get a Corsair RMx 850W for $100. I'm not weighing energy efficiency so much as reliability and overhead. It is definite I will use a lot of drives and I want them connected to the desktop, not in a separate bay. So I can see the argument for 1000W overhead. There is maybe only 50% chance of me buying a new GPU in the next five years after I do this build. So there is less impetus for having the new connector, which strictly speaking, is not necessary anyway.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Given that, you'll probably get recommendations for 1000 watts all the way up to a direct line to Hoover Dam, sensible or not.

lol, but actually the question is, if I do go 1000W, do I get multi-rail? Or are all the A-list PSUs multi-rail at this point anyway? And believe me, this is a new topic for me, as I had heard of of "rails" before, but only just heard about "multi-rails" (or maybe I had before, but it just wasn't relevant because my previous, and as of now currently in use, build, is a budget one).

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have used 5-6 Corsair power supplies in multiple cases over the last several years, so far all the cables have reached no issues.

In 2023, I would go 1000 watt personally gives you room for later down the road.

In 2016, I did this went 1000 watt HXI, and have used it on 3 builds no issues and just keep reusing it :) Still have 3 more years of warranty on it.

Unless your going with crazy video cards you don't need 1000.

So if you never ever plan to use a graphics card over a basic on, the 850 would be fine and can save you some coin.

Here the last 850RMX I got was 134.99 about 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: consptheory77

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Multi versus single was a semi-big deal 10 or 15 years ago, but you don't hear much about it lately.

Not sure I'd care given modern designs and what's actually available to you.

This fellow here introduces the topic, saying, about 5 minutes in, if I'm understanding him correctly, that a multi rail can give the option to provide consistent power to any component you want, which in some contexts, in some builds, may be preferable.

750w PSUs Not Enough in 2021? — Why We Upgraded to 1,000 Watts

so this led me to find this article from 2010

Single Rail vs. Multi Rail Explained

"with high wattage units, >45A on the +12V (650W and higher) picking a multi-rail unit will provide you with an extra layer of protection. It isn't essential, and it has no impact on the power supply's performance. However, it does provide an extra layer of safety in case you get a short circuit. And I would consider it a must for >1000W power supplies"

and for my part, if that's still true, I am willing to pay more for that extra layer of safety.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
100% 850w at the lowest if youre using a 3060/ lower end gpu .. i use a rog thor 850w on my 5800x3d 6900xt red devil build ..
BUT
i do like to overkill my main so with my current 7600x 7900xtx red devil im using hx1000i corsair ..

On a side note i swear by corsair PSU's ive got like 4 of them and never had any issues with them

The gold vs. titanium is probably not that important. Electricity savings are small.

Both power supplies have a 10 year warranty which is a good indication of quality.

If I understand correctly, most power supplies actually have only one power generating rail.
The output is divided into multi rails for safety reasons. Largely an irrelevant spec, I think.

Is budget important to you?

Either would be plenty for any $400 gpu you can buy and would handle most any other high end future upgrade.