Gold and other stupid(?) questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
My current valk must have left about 100,000 pieces lying around.
Other than shops, are there any other uses for it? I would rather
carry the weight of items and not the gold. Am I missing something?
(I dont care about my score, if it adds to that.)

I haven't read the spoilers, although I did look at the artifact one, so
here are my other questions.

1> I thought there was only 1 large empty room. I've found 3:
The big square one, one with alcoves on every wall and 2
columns in the middle and one room which come to a
point on each end. I didn't see anything special in these rooms
did I miss something?

2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these? I've had
4 but no wishes. According to my enlightenment wand I have
good luck, luck doesn't time out and I can safely pray, but still
they just disappear when I sit on them. I even tried taking off
all my armor (a fortune cookie message) still no wish...

3> Is there a way, other than fireproofing, to avoid the fire traps
on the valk quest? Tried levitating over the ice, but I still
got burned so bad that my cloak of protection and boots of
waterwalking burned up.
3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
armor while confused. I did so and my shield glowed with
a purple light i think, but still the shield was burned...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You can buy hints (minor and major) from the Oracle. He's in a room
with fountains and lots of centaur statues.
Also, you can donate 400*Xlvl to reduce your naked armor class. Don't
bother after you get to naked AC:1 unless you have way too much money
on your hands.

1>There are five different versions of that room, but you'll only get
one (or none!) per game. There's no special treasure there other than
the loot you get from killing all those monsters.

2>There's no special secret to getting a wish; just don't bother
getting naked. It doesn't help and can hurt you if monsters are
summoned. Also, put your gold in a bag or drop it to prevent it from
being stolen. Kicking thrones can get some nice effects, too (but not
wishes).

3>Make yourself fire-resistant by wearing or eating a ring of fire
resistance, or eating the corpses of fiery enemies like fire giants or
red giants. Eating a ring of fire resistance? If rings of fire
resistance are made of metal, take off your armor and poly into a xorn
to eat it. If they're wooden, try a gelatinous cube instead. If they're
a precious gem, you can't eat them.

3b>Read a non-cursed scroll of enchant weapon/armor while confused to
-proof one weapon/piece of armor. Reading a cursed scroll of destroy
armor while confused also works for armor. When you tried to -proof it
that time, the game tried to remove the -proofing (though it didn't
have any).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

K.V.C wrote:

> So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
> My current valk must have left about 100,000 pieces lying around.
> Other than shops, are there any other uses for it? I would rather
> carry the weight of items and not the gold. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something.

Try chatting to some of the inhabitants of the dungeon. Some of them may
ask you for money. Giving them money may have interesting effects. Try
offering them different amounts for different effects. Once you've done
that ignore the excess gold.

> (I dont care about my score, if it adds to that.)
>
> I haven't read the spoilers, although I did look at the artifact one, so
> here are my other questions.
>
> 1> I thought there was only 1 large empty room. I've found 3:
> The big square one, one with alcoves on every wall and 2
> columns in the middle and one room which come to a
> point on each end. I didn't see anything special in these rooms
> did I miss something?

Probably not.

>
> 2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these? I've had
> 4 but no wishes. According to my enlightenment wand I have
> good luck, luck doesn't time out and I can safely pray, but still
> they just disappear when I sit on them. I even tried taking off
> all my armor (a fortune cookie message) still no wish...

No secret, just that while possible wishes aren't all that common. Keep
trying.

>
> 3> Is there a way, other than fireproofing, to avoid the fire traps
> on the valk quest? Tried levitating over the ice, but I still
> got burned so bad that my cloak of protection and boots of
> waterwalking burned up.

Fireproofing is the best way. Don't forget to fireproof both yourself and
your clothing. You fireproof yourself by eating certain monsters
(especially the ones you find most of on the valk quest).

> 3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
> armor while confused. I did so and my shield glowed with
> a purple light i think, but still the shield was burned...
>
Destroy armour will add proofing to your clothing but doesn't fix it.
Confused enchant armour proofs and fixes any existing damage.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Duncan Booth wrote:
> K.V.C wrote:
>>3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
>> armor while confused. I did so and my shield glowed with
>> a purple light i think, but still the shield was burned...
>>
>
> Destroy armour will add proofing to your clothing but doesn't fix it.
> Confused enchant armour proofs and fixes any existing damage.

IIRC, it will only add proofing if there's not already damage. It
doesn't leave the damage and still add proofing. Is it even possible to
have a "burned, fireproofed" object?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

K.V.C wrote:

Exactly how spoiled do you want to be? I won't say anything outright
but i will give some hints. If you don't want to get any hints don't
read further.


> So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
> My current valk must have left about 100,000 pieces lying around.
> Other than shops, are there any other uses for it? I would rather
> carry the weight of items and not the gold. Am I missing something?
> (I dont care about my score, if it adds to that.)

Naw, gold is mostly useless, but it does have one other use beside
score and shop. In the real world some organizations beg for money.



> 2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these? I've
> had
> 4 but no wishes. According to my enlightenment wand I have
> good luck, luck doesn't time out and I can safely pray, but
> still
> they just disappear when I sit on them. I even tried taking
> off all my armor (a fortune cookie message) still no wish...

You haven't done anything wrong, but sitting naked is not at all
needed. I would stash my gold or drop it though if i were you.

> 3> Is there a way, other than fireproofing, to avoid the fire traps
> on the valk quest? Tried levitating over the ice, but I still
> got burned so bad that my cloak of protection and boots of
> waterwalking burned up.

Well, there may be one or two items that can help with this, but
fireproofing is the best way.

> 3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
> armor while confused. I did so and my shield glowed with
> a purple light i think, but still the shield was burned...

Do you know what the BUC status of the scroll was?



Jorge
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"K.V.C" <kvc627@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I haven't read the spoilers, although I did look at the artifact one

I try to minimise the spoily answers.

>So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?

Hint: Donate it to charity. Spoiler: Qbangr 400*rkcyriry gb n cevrfg
(nyvtazrag qbrf abg znggre) gb erprvir cebgrpgvba (NP).

> 1> I thought there was only 1 large empty room. I've found 3:
> The big square one, one with alcoves on every wall and 2
> columns in the middle and one room which come to a
> point on each end.

There are five different versions of that room.

> I didn't see anything special in these rooms
> did I miss something?

No; it is just a level with a single, big room, coming up by chance in
some games.

>2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these?

It is just a matter of luck (real-life and in-game).

>3> Is there a way, other than fireproofing, to avoid the fire traps
> on the valk quest?

Just search for them and don't step on the squares.

>3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
> armor while confused.

The scroll has to be cursed. Spoiler: Gur zber pbzzba jnl vf gb ernq n
aba-phefrq fpebyy bs rapunag nezbhe juvyr pbashfrq.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:

>Duncan Booth wrote:
>> Destroy armour will add proofing to your clothing but doesn't fix it.
>> Confused enchant armour proofs and fixes any existing damage.
>IIRC, it will only add proofing if there's not already damage.

No, the object will be .-proofed in any case. This prevents further
damage.

>Is it even possible to have a "burned, fireproofed" object?

Yes.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:
>
>
>>Duncan Booth wrote:
>>
>>>Destroy armour will add proofing to your clothing but doesn't fix it.
>>>Confused enchant armour proofs and fixes any existing damage.
>>
>>IIRC, it will only add proofing if there's not already damage.
>
>
> No, the object will be .-proofed in any case. This prevents further
> damage.
>
So it will. I'm sorry, I should have tested in wizmode first.
>
>>Is it even possible to have a "burned, fireproofed" object?
>
>
> Yes.
>
Oddly, however, I can't seem to /wish/ for both burnt and fireproof. I
just get burnt. Not that you'd ever want to, but this did cause my
confusion.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

No co-aligned priests, I've only found 2 alters
A non-aligned minetown alter and a priestless
alter on lvl 14 or 15... The scroll i read was
blessed..I think.

Thanks.
"jorge estrada" <jestrada5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d2ucdc$d6s$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> K.V.C wrote:
>
> Exactly how spoiled do you want to be? I won't say anything outright
> but i will give some hints. If you don't want to get any hints don't
> read further.
>
>
>> So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
>> My current valk must have left about 100,000 pieces lying around.
>> Other than shops, are there any other uses for it? I would rather
>> carry the weight of items and not the gold. Am I missing something?
>> (I dont care about my score, if it adds to that.)
>
> Naw, gold is mostly useless, but it does have one other use beside
> score and shop. In the real world some organizations beg for money.
>
>
>
>> 2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these? I've
>> had
>> 4 but no wishes. According to my enlightenment wand I have
>> good luck, luck doesn't time out and I can safely pray, but
>> still
>> they just disappear when I sit on them. I even tried taking
>> off all my armor (a fortune cookie message) still no wish...
>
> You haven't done anything wrong, but sitting naked is not at all
> needed. I would stash my gold or drop it though if i were you.
>
>> 3> Is there a way, other than fireproofing, to avoid the fire traps
>> on the valk quest? Tried levitating over the ice, but I still
>> got burned so bad that my cloak of protection and boots of
>> waterwalking burned up.
>
> Well, there may be one or two items that can help with this, but
> fireproofing is the best way.
>
>> 3b> How do you fireproof? I though it was reading a destroy
>> armor while confused. I did so and my shield glowed with
>> a purple light i think, but still the shield was burned...
>
> Do you know what the BUC status of the scroll was?
>
>
>
> Jorge
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

K.V.C wrote:
> No co-aligned priests, I've only found 2 alters
> A non-aligned minetown alter and a priestless
> alter on lvl 14 or 15... The scroll i read was
> blessed..I think.
>

You don't need co-aligned priests to get benefits from donating money.
Priestless altars are usually simply called altars, and altars with
priests next to them are called temples.

The problem is that if you're using a scroll of DESTROY armor (which you
were), it needs to be cursed and you need to be confused to fooproof. If
you're using a scroll of ENCHANT armor, it needs to be uncursed or
blessed and you need to be confused to fooproof. If you're confused and
the other condition is not met, it will instead remove any fooproofing.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> "K.V.C" <kvc627@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>

>
>>So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
>
>
> Hint: Donate it to charity. Spoiler: Qbangr 400*rkcyriry gb n cevrfg
> (nyvtazrag qbrf abg znggre) gb erprvir cebgrpgvba (NP).
>

"Qbangr 400*rkcyry"

This is why rot13 needs to include numbers as well as letters.

>
>>2> Thrones - Is there a secret to getting wishes from these?
>
>
> It is just a matter of luck (real-life and in-game).
>

And is still quite unlikely with max luck in-game.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
 

mark

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
2,613
0
20,780
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"NeoUltima" <neoatmaa@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112733248.237942.22290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> You can buy hints (minor and major) from the Oracle. He's in a room
> with fountains and lots of centaur statues.
> Also, you can donate 400*Xlvl to reduce your naked armor class. Don't
> bother after you get to naked AC:1 unless you have way too much money
> on your hands.


I disagree, I think you should donate until you can donate no more (or
this is how I play anyway), as then when you are out of money you can
kill them (or pref get your pet to kill them), get your money back,
and spend that money on someone else, as there is always a chance of
getting natural AC under 0.
Just had a thought, is it possible to donate, kill, get your money
back, and if the priest leaves a corpse (which they often do), turn
undead and repeat?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Shadow" <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote in message
news:-oGdnSZRW_FB-cnfRVn-qg@comcast.com...
> K.V.C wrote:
>> No co-aligned priests, I've only found 2 alters
>> A non-aligned minetown alter and a priestless
>> alter on lvl 14 or 15... The scroll i read was
>> blessed..I think.
>>
>
> You don't need co-aligned priests to get benefits from donating money.
> Priestless altars are usually simply called altars, and altars with
> priests next to them are called temples.

IMHO this is a bug.
I can understand the priest taking your money but whose god gives you
protection?
Also your god should be pissed off at you if you donate to another religion.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> writes:

> Philipp Lucas wrote:
> > "K.V.C" <kvc627@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
>
> >
> >>So what is the purpose of all the gold lying around the dungeon?
> > Hint: Donate it to charity. Spoiler: Qbangr 400*rkcyriry gb n cevrfg
> > (nyvtazrag qbrf abg znggre) gb erprvir cebgrpgvba (NP).
> >
>
> "Qbangr 400*rkcyry"
>
> This is why rot13 needs to include numbers as well as letters.

"Qbangr sbhe uhaqerq gvzrf lbhe Rkc yriry va tbyq"

If one really wants, rot-13 works perfectly for such
purposes.

Best,
Jakob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nick Hounsome wrote:

> "Shadow" <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote in message
> news:-oGdnSZRW_FB-cnfRVn-qg@comcast.com...

>> You don't need co-aligned priests to get benefits from donating money.
>> Priestless altars are usually simply called altars, and altars with
>> priests next to them are called temples.
>
> IMHO this is a bug.

Not every choice you don't agree with is a bug.

Raisse, killed by a grid bug, while helpless

--
irina@valdyas.org LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral): Level 8 HP 63(67) AC -3, fast.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Raisse the Thaumaturge" <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message
news:42550532$0$29298$e4fe514c@dreader14.news.xs4all.nl...
> Nick Hounsome wrote:
>
>> "Shadow" <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote in message
>> news:-oGdnSZRW_FB-cnfRVn-qg@comcast.com...
>
>>> You don't need co-aligned priests to get benefits from donating money.
>>> Priestless altars are usually simply called altars, and altars with
>>> priests next to them are called temples.
>>
>> IMHO this is a bug.
>
> Not every choice you don't agree with is a bug.

That's why I put "IMHO".
Perhaps you would care to explain your theory that justifies getting
protection from unaligned priests.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Adam Borowski wrote:

> I personally divide rule breaches into two groups:
> * different ways of roleplay -- things that are possible in the game's
> setting but you don't have to use them.
> These include
> + genocide
> + using rubber chickens
> + wearing AoLS
> + murdering shopkeepers
> + stealing from shops (once per item)
> + wishing for quest artifacts
> + other "cheesy" strategies
>
> * things that are bugs in the game
> These are
> + save-scumming

Cheating, not bug.

> + savegame editing

Ditto.

> + keeping notes about bone files (except for things you can divine from
> the knowledge of the game, like expecting a (oMR on a wizard)

Not a bug.

> + credit cloning
> + repeatedly selling the same item

Design decision.

> + wizard bones

Debugging feature, not game bug.

A bug in the game is behaviour in the code that is *not intended* by the
development team.

It is impossible to prevent some sorts of cheating (e.g. save-scumming,
editing) when the source code is available. Just because it's possible to
cheat doesn't mean there is a bug.

You could argue that some of these "misfeatures" in the game, but that's
always a matter of opinion.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jerk-o@yomomma.org wrote:

> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
> rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote
>
>> Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:
>>
>>> "Qbangr 400*rkcyry"
>>>
>>> This is why rot13 needs to include numbers as well as letters.
>>
>> That would be a clever trick; there are only 10 digits.
>
> 0-1-2-3-4
> 5-6-7-8-9

This would be rot5. Of course, you could still do rot13 with numbers, it
would just be equivalent to rot3. (X = (Y+13)%5 <=> X = (Y+3)%5 for ten
digits).

You could also do rot18 with A..Z0..9, making it a little more difficult to
distinguish letters from numbers in the encrypted text, and maintaining the
property that the forward and inverse operations yield the same result.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nick Hounsome wrote:

> Perhaps you would care to explain your theory that justifies getting
> protection from unaligned priests.

I don't have a theory that justifies it, and I don't think I need one:
it's a feature of the game, and not every feature of the game has to make
sense for me to enjoy it.

If it bothers you that it's unrealistic, what keeps you from buying
protection only from coaligned priests? It's not as if you have an
*obligation* to exploit every feature of the game, whether it appeals to
you or not. For example, I never use credit cloning, or wear an amulet of
life saving, or play chaotic characters, because those are features of
the game *I* don't like.

Raisse, killed by a housecat

--
irina@valdyas.org LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral): Level 8 HP 63(67) AC -3, fast.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Keith Davies wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> You could also do rot18 with A..Z0..9, making it a little more
>> difficult to distinguish letters from numbers in the encrypted text,
>> and maintaining the property that the forward and inverse operations
>> yield the same result.
>
> I just about posted this earlier. It breaks down when you consider both
> cases for letters. '8' maps to either 'q' or 'Q'. You either have to
> have different mappings for upper and lower case, or run the entire
> thing into a single map:
>
> abcdefghjiklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDE
> FGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789

Yeah, good point. Another solution might be to add in ten punctuation
characters which you could consider "uppercase numbers".

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> I don't have a theory that justifies it, and I don't think I need
> one: it's a feature of the game, and not every feature of the game
> has to make sense for me to enjoy it.
>
> For example,
> I never use credit cloning,
A big thumbs-up.

> or wear an amulet of life
Indifferent to me. It's nice but not vital.

> saving,
Obvious.

> or play chaotic characters,
Beh. I, on the contrary, am very reluctant to the rules imposed by
being non-chaotic. Not being able to kill damn peaceful humans who have
things _I_ want? Not being able to kill them just because I want to?
Not being able to murder the priest and sacrifice him on his own altar?
Having to pay respect to "historic statues"? Preserving life as a
pacifist? Adhering to goofy chivalric rules that forbid me from
attacking monsters when they're vulnerable? Or even, as a rogue, acting
as a moral rogue, stealing-but-not-killing instead of going the easy way
and prying it from their still warm dead fingers? Bah. Thanks very
much for the option of avoiding "unnecessary" bloodshed, let me defile
the corpses of my enemies.

I'm not a knight in a shining armour. I roleplay a villain in all games
I happen to play, if that's possible.

I'm not evil as a person -- in the only multiplayer game I play, I help
newbies but act cruelly to maxxed players.

> because those are features of the game *I* don't like.
Exactly. You can't force anyone to play the way you like, as long as
they stay within the rules.

I personally divide rule breaches into two groups:
* different ways of roleplay -- things that are possible in the game's
setting but you don't have to use them.
These include
+ genocide
+ using rubber chickens
+ wearing AoLS
+ murdering shopkeepers
+ stealing from shops (once per item)
+ wishing for quest artifacts
+ other "cheesy" strategies

* things that are bugs in the game
These are
+ save-scumming
+ savegame editing
+ keeping notes about bone files (except for things you can divine from
the knowledge of the game, like expecting a (oMR on a wizard)
+ credit cloning
+ repeatedly selling the same item
+ wizard bones
Unlike nearly all games, NetHack is virtually free of bugs, so we're
free of things like Diablo, where almost all "economy" comes from people
cloning items, people walking through walls because the walls meet at a
certain angle, etc, etc.


There are features I don't like. For example, why would a demon lord
like Demogorgon act like a fool just because you're standing on a word
scribbled in the dust? Even if it has a magical force, why can't he
just poke it with a stick to wipe it out, he's supposed to be a smart
being. And why a certain arrangement of pigments affect him if the same
pigments are present in most other parts of the floor (it's gray-on-gray)?
Elbereth is something I would want to have stricken from the game. I
have the right to scream to the DevTeam or ramble on rgrn, but I can't
call someone a cheater just because he used a valid, _intentional_
feature of the game.

1KB
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
>* things that are bugs in the game
>These are
>+ save-scumming

This is not a bug in the game. It is a bug in the player.

>+ savegame editing

This is not a bug in the game. It is a bug in the player.

>+ wizard bones

This is not a bug in the game. It is a bug in the player (on single-user
systems) or the game administrator (on multi-user systems).
--
Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:

> "Qbangr 400*rkcyry"
>
> This is why rot13 needs to include numbers as well as letters.

That would be a clever trick; there are only 10 digits.

Richard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:

>
> "Raisse the Thaumaturge" <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message
> news:42550532$0$29298$e4fe514c@dreader14.news.xs4all.nl...
> > Nick Hounsome wrote:
> >
> >> "Shadow" <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote in message
> >> news:-oGdnSZRW_FB-cnfRVn-qg@comcast.com...
> >
> >>> You don't need co-aligned priests to get benefits from donating money.
> >>> Priestless altars are usually simply called altars, and altars with
> >>> priests next to them are called temples.
> >>
> >> IMHO this is a bug.
> >
> > Not every choice you don't agree with is a bug.
>
> That's why I put "IMHO".
> Perhaps you would care to explain your theory that justifies getting
> protection from unaligned priests.

For one, not every game is guaranteed to have a co-aligned priest. Every
game _is_ guaranteed to have at least two priests before you descend
into Gehennom, one aligned, one unaligned. Even if you kill the aligned
priest so you can convert his altar to your god, you can donate to the
guaranteed unaligned priest. Requiring that donation be done to aligned,
or worse, co-aligned priests would remove this option, thus putting
random players at a serious disadvantage without a good alternative.

Richard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote

>Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:
>
>> "Qbangr 400*rkcyry"
>>
>> This is why rot13 needs to include numbers as well as letters.
>
>That would be a clever trick; there are only 10 digits.

0-1-2-3-4
5-6-7-8-9
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002
http://www.geocities.com/nameless_mod
-My Diablo 2 Mod
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
-My theme song
 
Status
Not open for further replies.