Gold, Green, Black, Silver

G

What's the deal with different colors of media? I've even seen CD/R media packs that come in multiple 'party' colors (prettier coasters?). Is Black supposed to be used only for ripping heavy metal Audio? (That's a joke son...)

I know it must have to do with the material used to enable recording, but is there a dye color that is preferable overall? For example, does a generic gold disk work better than a name brand green one? Is Platinum better than gold now?

G

As far as I know there should be no differences.

An interesting thing is that both Verbatim and Kodak Gold CDs, have the same layer type they had 5 years ago!!!

That's a got layer, so good it has needed no improvements ever.

Many CD manufacturers sell CDs under many brands, so maybe Kodak and Traxdata Gold are manufactured by the same company, I don't know.

Anyway, I have been using CDR Identifier for a long time, this program tells you the manufacturer of the CD (not the brand), the type of chemical substance of the layer, the total recording lenght...

I have listed in a txt file all the brands of CDs I've been able to identify, and I've added their brand and model, something the program cannot do by itself.

So if you want that database, ask for it.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST