Good 1440p G-sync Monitor? IPS or TN?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

It was 699 last week but I forgot all about it and someone snatched it up. Out of Stock :( Amazon has it for 799. I might wait till it's back in stock, I have $125 in gift cards to use. Part of me wants to buy it at a brick and mortar store so I can inspect it.

blockhead78

Distinguished
for the average player, the difference between 1ms and 4ms response time won't even be noticed

esports/competition type players tend to go for the 1ms monitors so they can react in game as quickly as possible

personally I prefer IPS panels. A little more expensive, but the colour reproduction is better and I generally prefer the way an IPS panel displays compared to TN

I went for the Acer Predator XB271HU and love it!

It's available in IPS & TN

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
There are monitors out with 4ms IPS which have less input lag and are better suited for gaming than a 1ms TN panel. Read reviews about the monitor, not about general panel discussion. 4ms IPS is not the same as 4ms TN and in reality the numbers can be ignored.

blockhead78

Distinguished

AOC are upping their game lately

They've always used pretty decent panels, but the build quality of the monitors used to be sub-par

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
It was just an example why you can't trust the manufacturers numbers. Btw, I own this one myself and its top quality to me.

But they use the same IPS panel like all other 144hz 1440p and suffers from same problems about reported backlight bleeding and such. I just won the lottery by having almost none visible bleeding.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I have the smaller Asus "M" IPS panel and I see no difference if Im on battlegrounds or Planet Coaster as well as Civilization 6. Also, there is some bleed when I initially turn on my desktop but after that; nothing.

This is the first I'm hearing about AOC. I usually hear only of Asus, Acer, Benq I believe the Asus IPS monitor is 165mhz

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Thanks! I was able to nab the 1080ti Asus ROG OC edition for $720 there is a flash sale going on from last night to I believe in a few hrs.

while I totally agree with you, there are no high refreshrate, 1440p, GSync panels as of today -- I hope Samsung releases theirs soon, I'm waiting for almost a year now...

blockhead78

Distinguished

no high refresh rate 1440p gsync panels?... how so?

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
It is the same panel with same problems. There is only one manufacturer AUO for 27" 144hz 1440p panels, all get the same. So, don't trust the name in this case. I think only Eizo does Quality control and presort the bad panels. But this testing costs money and so the Eizo monitors with same panel are much more expensive.

that's not true. Asus and Acer use different AUO-panels.

no high refresh rate 1440p gsync panels?... how so?
it's not that easy to do a high refreshrate VA panel (thus the curved screens, they can't make them even just yet)
and their G-Sync lineup hasn't been released yet. they released freesync screens last Christmas, G-Sync needs some elaborate certification, they are probably waiting for a good time to release the screens (AKA not summer)

blockhead78

Distinguished
ahhh... i thought the xb271hu & the PG279Q were using the same AUO panel, but you're right

after bit of extra digging, they're different... although it seems the QC for both is still poor LOL

I got a good one, so I'm happy :D

So as far as current monitors like the xb271hu, are you saying they're not 'really' a high refresh rate gsync panel and just trying to be one instead?

the XB271HU is IPS not PVA/MVA

blockhead78

Distinguished

ahhhhh... i thought you were talking in general :p

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Is it true the Acer's panel is native 144hz and the Asus' ROG monitor is not, it has to be OC'd to 144 and 165? Does this change anything. I see they are both the same price but deadlocked between them both. They are both the same price lol.