Good 144hz monitor for under $300?

Solution
Peeps often make the mistake that because a $750 IPS at 1440p is better than a $450 TN panel, that somehow carries over and a $250 IPS will be better than a $250 TN.... nothing could be further from the truth. Head to head and speaking in a generic sense per dollar:

IPS generally has better color depth, but poor by comparison in response time and lag
TN has better response / lag times and doesn't exhibit IPS Glow

Like everything else, you can throw better technology at the problem and better tech means spending more money.

Until very recently, there was no 1080p panel that even gave ya G-Sync and 144 Hz, I always put that off to the fact that by the time you pay for GSync and the ULMB module and 144 Hz panel technology, cost gets...
Peeps often make the mistake that because a $750 IPS at 1440p is better than a $450 TN panel, that somehow carries over and a $250 IPS will be better than a $250 TN.... nothing could be further from the truth. Head to head and speaking in a generic sense per dollar:

IPS generally has better color depth, but poor by comparison in response time and lag
TN has better response / lag times and doesn't exhibit IPS Glow

Like everything else, you can throw better technology at the problem and better tech means spending more money.

Until very recently, there was no 1080p panel that even gave ya G-Sync and 144 Hz, I always put that off to the fact that by the time you pay for GSync and the ULMB module and 144 Hz panel technology, cost gets up there to a point where peeps start saying "I could buy a $1440p panel for this."

A G-Syn capable 144 Hz monitor just came out (PG248Q) and it's $500.... change that to a quality IPS panel and you are probably talking $625 - $675 or more. At that point, most would add another $100 or so to their budget and get the 1440p model.

If your using say a 1070, every game in TPUs game test suite will be at about 60 fps or better ... I'd guess more than haf would break 80 and a third break 100 fps. G-Sync / Freesync are targeted at the 30 - 60 fps spread tho it still has an observable effect when you go higher. However from 60 hz on up, you can also use ULMB which is a Motion Blur reduction technology. The toasty Strobelight utility is a suitable alternate ULMB if your monitor suports it ... the VG248QE does.

You can see the effect of Motion Blur reduction here and here:

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/video/

At your budget, I'd get the VG248QRE or the BenQ w/ the same panel if you live in Europe ... Model is 2411Z or something close to that

Solution

Berkin

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
I own the BENQ one and I have to say that the colors are not that vivid. But that you should already expect from a panel like that. If the focus is on competitive gaming go for the BENQ XL2411ZT since it is built for gaming especially

Did you download and install the correct ICC profile from tftcentral ? There's several different ones available ... including ones specially tweaked for using toasty strobelight. There are mnr differences between the two panels, but both are made much, much better using the downloaded profiles.