[SOLVED] good 2nd monitor

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
hi right now my main monitor is a ViewSonic 24" 1080p 1ms 144 Hz XG2402
and my 2nd is some shitty samsung i wanna get a good 2nd monitor i only really use it for movies and you tube any recommendations that would look good with it?

Solution
1440p displays are cheap, or at least a lot cheaper than they were in years past and even up until about six months ago, and if you're super sampling you're creating overhead anyhow so might as well just have the native overhead of 1440p which looks better anyway.

However, there really aren't any particularly good 24" range, meaning 23.8-25", displays that are 1440p until you get up into the more expensive gaming centric models. Honestly, Blu ray is 1080p, there is little 4k content out there in the mainstream compared to all other resolutions of movie and video.

If you really want a secondary monitor that is 1440p, I'd say this was a good choice without trying to break the bank or include gaming type features.

PCPartPicker...

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
How much are you willing to spend? Will this be used for gaming AT ALL, or just a secondary monitor for movies and video and desktop tasks?
umm around $500 and for moives,yotube ect. also was wondering if my setup can take anything better then a 1080p and possible curved . my current 2nd monitor is a samsung s24d390

Last edited:
Ok, so with an RTX 2060 and an i7-7700, I would stick to 1080p. Technically you could do 1440p gaming, if you were willing to drop down to some combination of upper medium or low high settings, depending on the game and the refresh rate of the monitor, but if you are looking to do ultra gaming for most titles then I'd stick to 1080p.

For the gaming side of things anyhow. If the second monitor is ONLY for watching movies and desktop use for applications and browsing, then a 1440p or 4k display is fine. You just don't want to game on them because you're going to take a SERIOUS hit to performance if you do. For those resolutions you would really want either an RTX 2070 (Or higher) or an RX 5700 XT (Or higher).

Reactions: Jason H.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Ok, so with an RTX 2060 and an i7-7700, I would stick to 1080p. Technically you could do 1440p gaming, if you were willing to drop down to some combination of upper medium or low high settings, depending on the game and the refresh rate of the monitor, but if you are looking to do ultra gaming for most titles then I'd stick to 1080p.

For the gaming side of things anyhow. If the second monitor is ONLY for watching movies and desktop use for applications and browsing, then a 1440p or 4k display is fine. You just don't want to game on them because you're going to take a SERIOUS hit to performance if you do. For those resolutions you would really want either an RTX 2070 (Or higher) or an RX 5700 XT (Or higher).
ya i was thinking of a 2k monitor. do you have ant recommendation on some

Do you have a size limitation. Are you wanting it to be the same overall size, approximately, as your existing monitor or does it being bigger not bother you at all?

Sorry about so many questions, but when it comes to a monitor, unlike most other hardware, there are a LOT of reasons why one might not be the right choice and a lot of things to be finicky about.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Do you have a size limitation. Are you wanting it to be the same overall size, approximately, as your existing monitor or does it being bigger not bother you at all?

Sorry about so many questions, but when it comes to a monitor, unlike most other hardware, there are a LOT of reasons why one might not be the right choice and a lot of things to be finicky about.
no big deal lol looking for a 24 inch to match my other one

IMO running 1440p on a 1080p monitor looks good enough to justify not spending the extra money for a 2nd monitor on a 1440p monitor. So if he super sampled then this could be a great option.

1440p displays are cheap, or at least a lot cheaper than they were in years past and even up until about six months ago, and if you're super sampling you're creating overhead anyhow so might as well just have the native overhead of 1440p which looks better anyway.

However, there really aren't any particularly good 24" range, meaning 23.8-25", displays that are 1440p until you get up into the more expensive gaming centric models. Honestly, Blu ray is 1080p, there is little 4k content out there in the mainstream compared to all other resolutions of movie and video.

If you really want a secondary monitor that is 1440p, I'd say this was a good choice without trying to break the bank or include gaming type features.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Dell P2418D 24.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor ($339.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $339.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 01:32 EST-0500

But if you can live with 1080p, then this would be a much higher quality unit with better display characteristics.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($309.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $309.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 01:40 EST-0500

It would be much easier if you were looking for a larger display, because practically everything has been moving to 27-32" lately especially if you want a very good VA panel that is going to have excellent black depth and uniformity and good contrast. As well as the fact that choices are EXTREMELY limited for 1440p displays at 24". Almost all of them are 27" or larger.

PCPartPicker Part List

But if you can live with 1080p, then this would be a much higher quality unit with better display characteristics.

PCPartPicker Part List

It would be much easier if you were looking for a larger display, because practically everything has been moving to 27-32" lately especially if you want a very good VA panel that is going to have excellent black depth and uniformity and good contrast. As well as the fact that choices are EXTREMELY limited for 1440p displays at 24". Almost all of them are 27" or larger.

I have to disagree w your statement that 1440p looks SO MUCH BETTER on a 1440p monitor. the differance is negligable and running 1440p on 1080 cud result in not having to use a higher AA setting which would kill peformance more than sampling.

Solution

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

if you can find a curved monitor i can go up to like 30 inch. i like the aoc one but its like at that point might as well switch my main out for that because i dont need 144hz. i just need a good screen. at 144hz 1440p i will just swap out my main lol

Last edited:
I have to disagree w your statement that 1440p looks SO MUCH BETTER on a 1440p monitor. the differance is negligable and running 1440p on 1080 cud result in not having to use a higher AA setting which would kill peformance more than sampling.
Nowhere did I ever say it looks "so much better". Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

What I said was, specifically,

the native overhead of 1440p which looks better anyway.

There is no chance, at all, that anything which has been upscaled can look as good as an equivalent sized monitor at a higher native resolution. It simply cannot have the same pixel density, therefore it simply cannot look "AS" good. That is not to say that it can't look good at all, or that it won't look better than it's own native resolution, but it definitely isn't going to be as crisp or dense and especially with larger sized monitors that are upscaled, you are still going to have a more pixelated/blocky/less dense on screen experience than an actual native display as the upscaled resolution. It's just not possible for a monitor pretending to be a higher resolution to look as good as the actual resolution. It can't.

if you can find a curved monitor i can go up to like 30 inch. i like the aoc one but its like at that point might as well switch my main out for that because i dont need 144hz. i just need a good screen. at 144hz 1440p i will just swap out my main lol

The problem really is that most displays that have high quality and good features, are geared towards gaming. That means most of them are now coming with low response times, high refresh rates, higher resolutions and larger sizes. I was thinking in fact that maybe you DO want to look at buying this monitor for gaming on and use your existing one as the secondary display.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
The problem really is that most displays that have high quality and good features, are geared towards gaming. That means most of them are now coming with low response times, high refresh rates, higher resolutions and larger sizes. I was thinking in fact that maybe you DO want to look at buying this monitor for gaming on and use your existing one as the secondary display.
okay so any other ideas for a 30 inch curved g force ready if possible to. Sorry for being picky

Last edited:
Nowhere did I ever say it looks "so much better". Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

What I said was, specifically,

There is no chance, at all, that anything which has been upscaled can look as good as an equivalent sized monitor at a higher native resolution. It simply cannot have the same pixel density, therefore it simply cannot look "AS" good. That is not to say that it can't look good at all, or that it won't look better than it's own native resolution, but it definitely isn't going to be as crisp or dense and especially with larger sized monitors that are upscaled, you are still going to have a more pixelated/blocky/less dense on screen experience than an actual native display as the upscaled resolution. It's just not possible for a monitor pretending to be a higher resolution to look as good as the actual resolution. It can't.

I wasnt saying YOU said that, I was saying that myself.

Really? That's strange, because it seems you specifically said

Usually, when you say "your statement", that means you are specifically responding to something somebody said, which in this case, I didn't. But whatever. Done is done.

Anything above 27" needs to be 1440p or higher, or it's going to look like dog-you-know-what. The problem with that is, your GTX 2060 isn't going to give you a very good experience at 1440p if you are wanting high to ultra settings on most games. That's really an Ultra 1080p card. It will certainly do 1440p if you're willing to turn some settings down but anything moderately demanding isn't going to do very good without doing so.

Also, in your market, there aren't any 30" or higher G-sync monitors under 500 bucks which means you need to be looking for G-sync compatible Freesync monitors, which are a LOT cheaper than G-sync. You add curved into the mix and the price tends to go up a little more as well.

Sorry about the confusion earlier. Not fighting, not really. Just, had to clear the air. We're good now. :)

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Anything above 27" needs to be 1440p or higher, or it's going to look like dog-you-know-what. The problem with that is, your GTX 2060 isn't going to give you a very good experience at 1440p if you are wanting high to ultra settings on most games. That's really an Ultra 1080p card. It will certainly do 1440p if you're willing to turn some settings down but anything moderately demanding isn't going to do very good without doing so.

Also, in your market, there aren't any 30" or higher G-sync monitors under 500 bucks which means you need to be looking for G-sync compatible Freesync monitors, which are a LOT cheaper than G-sync. You add curved into the mix and the price tends to go up a little more as well.

Sorry about the confusion earlier. Not fighting, not really. Just, had to clear the air. We're good now. :)
sooooo.... any monitors you can recommend its been like 1 week and i only got 2 ideas lol

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Something I would point out, and not sure if it was touched on. I highly recommend having your dual monitors be the same resolution, particularly in a situation where you do productivity work on both at the same time. Much less important if you are simply viewing information off one of them. When you run different resolutions you create a virtual "corner" in your desktop space that your mouse gets stuck in moving from the "big" screen to the "small" screen.
With that said, if you are happy with the monitor you have as far as response time and hz then going less of both for the side screen generally isn't an issue.

Something I would point out, and not sure if it was touched on. I highly recommend having your dual monitors be the same resolution, particularly in a situation where you do productivity work on both at the same time. Much less important if you are simply viewing information off one of them. When you run different resolutions you create a virtual "corner" in your desktop space that your mouse gets stuck in moving from the "big" screen to the "small" screen.
With that said, if you are happy with the monitor you have as far as response time and hz then going less of both for the side screen generally isn't an issue.

good point! If he does any picture editing or video color correcting as well it would be best to have the exact same 2 monitors. I didnt think about that side of things. I was just thinking like if he used 1 monitor for gaming and another for browsing.

TRENDING THREADS