Good 3 pin voltage fan control software?

Daniyal16

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
I've budget board (h81m-ds2) from gigabyte its own fan control software dsnt handle 3 pin voltage fans well,im forced to open the software everytime i boot my pc to enable fan curve or else it keeps the fans on full speed, Im looking for for good alternative software to handle 3 pin cpu and 3 pin system fan that can do its job on its own and doesnt require me to open it up everytiime i turn on my system,so if anyone knows good software let me know

Solution
For any control whatsoever of the cpu fan, it'll need to be pwm. The sys fan should be either.

Cooler manufacturers know this, it's been this way for years, which is why it's baffling to the extreme why they insist on the continued use of 3pin fans on a cpu cooler
You can't manually control 3 pin fans, that's why PWM fans, that can be manually controlled incorporate a fourth pin specifically for the purpose of controlling the speed of the fan.
3 pin fans simply run at a preset maximum setting unless told otherwise directly through BIOS.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If the Gigabyte mobo fan software isn't cutting it, the only other option is SpeedFan. However, even that might require you to set it as a Windows task, or you'll run into permissions issues and need to say 'yes I wanna run it' on every boot. Windows tasks bypass the user agreement

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sure you can. The only headers that will not control analog fans is the cpu header which is dedicated pwm, and some cpu_aux headers that are not controllable at all. Most 3pin/4pin headers will control either analog or pwm fans. I have 1 pc that's Asus mobo, so I use Asus fanXpert to control the 3pin input led fans, and another pc that's msi mobo, so uses SpeedFan to control the 3pin front fans. Both is software driven and work as normal. Bios settings only apply until Windows starts.

They only support control through voltage, which can only be determined via BIOS and MAYBE Speedfan, although i'm not sure.
Most softwares don't have that level of control though, most only use PWM access as a way of controlling fan speed I'm fairly certain.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 pin fans are analog, they ONLY work through voltage control, in ranges from 5v to 12v if you have a decent fan, which puts the duty range of @40% to 100%, or if you have a mediocre or worse fan it's usually 7v to 12v or @60% to 100%duty cycle. Any of the mobo software and SpeedFan can control via analog, but being analog the range is crap. Most pwm fans will handle @20%-100% so are more effective. This may be why op claims the mobo software doesn't really work well, but it's the fans themselves, not the Software that's at fault.

Daniyal16

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
OP here tomorrow ill be buying cooler master vortex 211p its comes with 3 pin fan which is why im worried,cuz my mobo has 1 cpu header and 1 sys header ill be using 1 sys fan too , ill use speedfan to control sys fan and stick pwm fan on top of vortex

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For any control whatsoever of the cpu fan, it'll need to be pwm. The sys fan should be either.

Cooler manufacturers know this, it's been this way for years, which is why it's baffling to the extreme why they insist on the continued use of 3pin fans on a cpu cooler

Solution