[SOLVED] good air cooler for 11700k

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
hello guys i have deepcool gammax gt from my 1151 socket and now i upgraded to 11 gen. will this old cooler be able to cool my new 11700k?

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have an 11600K, and another user here I know is using the 11700K. Both of us have commented back and forth about how hot these run. Where I think this cooler should work fine for general use, I would recommend using Riva or some other monitor of your choice to keep an eye on temps as you game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i will go wil 240 msi aio
Don't. The R and RH series Coreliquids adopt the pump in radiator design, which hasn't worked out well.
It won't turn up in tech reviews, but models that go this route have seen higher failure rates.
They go back to the traditional pump in cpu block solution with the K series, but they're really expensive...

Short term, at stock speeds, it should do ok, but why the 11700k? You can get a 10850k, for the same price, and sometimes less. The 11700k isn't a very good chip, with its price.
Probably PCIe Gen 4 support. Some have been heavily suggesting 11th gen + B500, even though currently it's usefulness is very limited, and the Gen 4 drives available run stupidly hot, usually requiring a DIY or aftermarket cooling solution.

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
Don't. The R and RH series Coreliquids adopt the pump in radiator design, which hasn't worked out well.
It won't turn up in tech reviews, but models that go this route have seen higher failure rates.
They go back to the traditional pump in cpu block solution with the K series, but they're really expensive...

Probably PCIe Gen 4 support. Some have been heavily suggesting 11th gen + B500, even though currently it's usefulness is very limited, and the Gen 4 drives available run stupidly hot, usually requiring a DIY or aftermarket cooling solution.
it mag series not r and rh

71vEmIK%2BlwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

logainofhades

Titan

Gen 4 really isn't all that useful, for gaming, at this time. An 11400, with a good B560 board is not a terrible idea, from a price/performance perspective, though. Truth be told, for a gaming only rig, an 11600k is the better option, if you wish to overclock, vs an 11700k. The 11700k costs too much, for little to no improvement, in performance. In some scenarios, it even loses to a 10700k.

A 5600x is a much better buy, than an 11700k too. The 11600k is a bit better buy, than a 5600x, unless the overall platform cost makes it cost more.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbch8LW-Bz0&t=14s

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
msi gungnir 110r
https://us.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-110R/Specification
Based off the specs...
Hybrid
Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2, or Prisma(if RGB fans are desired)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix
NZXT Kraken X63, or X63 RGB
be quiet! Pure Loop 280
EK-AIO 280 D-RGB

Air
Scythe FUMA 2
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Noctua NH-D15(IF ram is 36mm or shorter!), or NH-D15S - both models are available in black(Chromax)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Cryorig R1 Universal
Silentium PC Fortis 3, or Fortis 3 RGB

Skip 240mm hybrid entirely, not worth it, IMO; they offer too little from both sides(air and hybrid).

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Reactions: Fikifo
I7-11700K is a good processor that does not get any love.
It will run just fine with any cooler so your current cooler will do.
At least up to a point.
If you would be overclocking all cores, then voltages and consequent heat will limit your efforts.
With 11th gen, it is better for the gamer to depend on the new turbo mechanism to boost a few cores to higher limits. That is exactly what games usually need.
The boost level is determined by current conditions of workload and cooling capability.
Your current cooler may limit the top boost possible.

See how you do.

The max boost is supposed to be 5.0
If you run Hwmonitor it will record current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures as well as clock rates.
You will probably see something like a max of 4.6.
More, with a good chip.
To do better, use a noctua NH-D15s which is as good as it gets on air.
No need for a 360 aio and associated issues to get one more multiplier out of it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think the 11700K is pretty crap, at least compared to the 11900K that has both Thermal Velocity Boost and Adaptive Boost Technology - the 2 reasons I like the cpu.
Intel should've shared at least one of those 2 with the i7 - it has nothing, and the 11600K is right on its booty... I can't get excited for it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Considering the drop in core count, the i7 position doesn't make a lot of sense.

I just wonder what the binning difference between the i7 and i9 actually is, able to run just more efficiently enough to allow for prolonged boost?

Went ahead and picked up an i9-10900F to tinker with, only ten bucks more than the i7-11700 and $36 cheaper than the 10850k. Going to see if I can force it to do 5.2Ghz all core under water.

If you need many threads then ryzen is the better source for cheap threads.
If you can actually use many threads, then overclocking is good(at the expense of adding good cooling)
One reason why the i9-10900K with 20 threads will do better than the i9-11900k with 16.
But if you are a gamer, first realize that your graphics card is going to be the limiter, not usually the cpu.
For gaming, the 11th gen processors are good. Fully comparable to ryzen 5000 series.
The improved single thread performance of the new architectures are a good improvement.
The turbo mechanism does what it can to deliver high performance on the most needy threads.
The better binned chips can boost higher.
That is the main difference between 16 thread I7-11700K and 16 thread I9-11900K
5.0 vs. 5.3
Is that worth it to anybody? Perhaps not if you are on a budget.
I initially bought a i7-11700K because of unavailability of 11900K.
It works as advertised without any effort to overclock.
Subsequently My son was interested and so the I7-11700K will go to him and I am now using a i9-11900KF
bought at a reasonable price.
I have a side monitor which shows in task manager and cpu-Z what clocks are going on at any time.
It is a quick effortless processor if you just want good performance.
So quick that I do not feel the urge to fiddle with overclocking.
Temperatures are in the 65c. range during a simple CPU-Z stress test using a noctua NH-D15s.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But if you are a gamer, first realize that your graphics card is going to be the limiter, not usually the cpu.
Yeah, until you get to the competitive fps gamers who love to leave framerates uncapped, then it's cpu + ram frequency > gpu.
But half of the ones that come here don't seem to realize that...

I initially bought a i7-11700K because of unavailability of 11900K.
I thought I remember seeing the 11700K in your signature before. So that's what happened. Neat!

Temperatures are in the 65c. range during a simple CPU-Z stress test using a noctua NH-D15s.
Cpu-Z stress test doesn't apply that hard of a load, and is under-representative of some of the heavier cpu titles out there - especially ones that make use of AVX.
CoD: Cold War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Battlefield V likely hammer the cpu harder than Cpu-Z stress test does, in a time when people are leaving the AVX offset at 0*.
[On Intel cpus. Ryzen doesn't even have AVX offset as an option.]

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 11900k would have been 10 core except Intel ported the 10nm process onto 14nm chips which left viable cpus but not enough to support 10 cores. And then rushed them out the door. In the mean time IBM is working on 2nm sheets, so I'm wondering what's the holdup in Intels R&D division that they are still horsing around with 14nm.

Point is, if you do get an 11700k, you still get a respectable cpu, especially if moving up from 3rd or 4th Gen Intel, the gains will be magik, it's only in comparison to its peers, both 10th Gen and Ryzen 5x, that it seems quite lackluster for its price.