Good and Cheap Heatsink

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Firstly, i have a warning I know this isn't a new build but I guess what I'm asking is more relevant here.
Hey I have been here a long time ago when I was building my PC.
It's been rock solid for many months (um my HD 5850 failed once, but stable after that :))

Before I begin, here are my current system specs:
Intel i5-750 -No OC -stock heatsink
Gigabyte GA-P55 US3L rev 1.1
2 x 2 GB Kingston Value RAM 1333
Ati HD 5850 reference card
Samsung F3 1TB (OS)
Seagate 7200.11 500GB (backups)
Windows 7 x64

Alright here I go:
1. Today, when I turned on my computer, the LAN didn't work. Tried using same cable with laptop, it worked! :sweat:
2. Went to BIOS, checked CPU temperature just to be sure, it was at 70 C (my normal cpu temperature at BIOS is only 40-50C; the room I'm using the computer is quite hot about 35C)
3. Cleared CMOS, reseated heatsink, CPU, etc. etc. number of times. The temperatures instead rose.... :eek:
4. At 1 point system would not post, reseated CPU it then Posted but then the CPU temperature from the BIOS rose up like 10 C each second.... to 87C then BIOS would lock up... sigh..... :eek: :ouch:

From this I can conclude that the heatsink is crapping out.
So, I wanna ask you guys whats a good heatsink for socket 1156?
Requirements
-Silence (the stock was loud at load)
-Cheap -bellow 30 US $ (I live in Malaysia but I wouldn't mind using Newegg as reference since egg's prices match malaysia's pricing)
-Not going to OC
-Gonna Undervolt for added silence if necessary
-Reliable -hopefully it doesn't fail like the Intel heatsink :)
-Can fit on my motherboard: GA-P55-US3L

I know the Cooler Master 212+ serves me well, but after all this months, is there anything better?
Thanks a lot.

PS: I could have posted this in other sections, but posting here I guess would be better because you guys are the ones that recommend others what to buy... :D :D

Solution
to remove the curent paste just wipe the CPU down with a slightly damp cloth or paper towel (SLIGHTLY DAMP , not soaking wet!)

As for reapplying on the new heatsink, there are dozens of such on the web. Here is a google link on applying the paste. Pick your favorite set of directions :) :) :).

http://tinyurl.com/38dsyck

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I see. I know my budget is really low. But I'm also low for cash + don't OC (in fact I underclock haha)
So, let me take it that 212+ is the best in the market for this budget? I will still leave the topic free for others to answer.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Alright I have decided to get the 212+ but just want to confirm can it fit into my case Cooler Master Elite 334(mine is not the Nvidia version, just plain normal version but it should be identical) and motherboard GA-P55-US3L? Thanks for the help.
EDIT: after looking thorugh Google, I found out my case does support this heatsink... Now time to check for motherboard compatibility

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Zalman CNPS7000C-CU Copper CPU Fan

I don't know how good this heatsink/cooler is without a erm review and erm.. it doesn't seem to support LGA 1156... :( :non: well maybe it does support if I use some brackets but I don't think I like brackets since it will increase the overal cost :??:

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
it does support it and yes, i have a kit to make it fit..
so calm down on the finger waving - young apprentice... :non:

http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/cpucoolers/zm-cs5b
Alright thanks..... I MAY buy it if I can find it in Malaysia... and if it has reasonably better performance than the 212+ Any reviews benchmarks that are recent for this cooler that you can share?

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Can you show me a direct link to the list. I can't seem to find it... :cry:

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Ok thanks... I was a away yesterday... Now I'm back.... lol google... i had no time to do so previously :( , now I'm free will look through it.. haha :hello: :D