Good Anime Suggestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zex95966

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
@ssddx thanks, replied. =)

On the movie side of things I like:
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Girl who leapt through time.
Princess Mononuke

For the Haruhi movie I will say this though: you need to be somewhat familiar with the series because a certain girl (Asakura) that never makes an appearance becomes important at the end.
Probably the only anime I ever saw the series first and actually preferred the movie.

Princess Mononuke is a classic - It was one of the first animes I saw, and I searched for a long time before finding it again. I won't call it underrated because it's one of the best selling anime movies of all time (I think it's second only to Grave of the Fireflies in sales.)

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
@ssddx No Tekken Kinkreet is not about the game Tekken. It's about two street boys against the Yakuza. Yes I was talking about Ghost in the Shell the movie. I didn't even know ther was a series. I know my next puchase.

@wip99gt

there are actually quite a few ghost in the shell anime that i know of:

ghost in the shell: innocence (movie)
ghost in the shell 2.0 (movie)
ghost in the shell: sac: solid state society (movie)
ghost in the shell: stand alone complex (season 1)
ghost in the shell: sac 2nd gig (season 2)

no i have not read the detroit metal city comics. after viewing the anime i can only wonder and how much more horrible the manga is. personally i dont feel that the art style is anything to marvel at, however the content sure more than makes up for it.

sad thing is that most people only know about dragonball z, akira, naruto, bleach and one piece. while i would consider dragonball z watch worthy it is nowhere near the best in class. i do have every season and about 60% or so of the movies and i still do enjoy watching them once in awhile.

i used to watch it religiously as well back when it used to play all the time late nights on the tele until of course.... NEXT TIME... ONE DRAGONBALL Z..... all in all i think we had 20 minutes of recaps and 10 minutes of episodal content which is why the dvds and marathon mode are great!

@xxsnakeyez

you might want to check out some titles listed above... there are things that even non anime lovers might like.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Some of the best ones I've seen where Rurouni Kenshin OVA, Hajime no Ippo, GunGrave, Ghost in the Shell, Slam Dunk (although old, I love it), Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ah My Goddess, Fate Stay Night and among others.

KickAssDude

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I have been watching Anime for quite some time and some of the best one's I've come across are Full Metal Alchemist : BrotherHood & Code Geass

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
@ssddx The artwork in the comics is pretty good. I'd put it on par with the Preacher comics art wise. Preacher is way better story wise though.

lets keep this thread rolling.....

in other anime news..... persona 4 arena is coming out on the ps3! aquapazza is also slated for a japanese only release in the middle of this month. two 2d anime fighters in one month....something to look into for sure.

in case anyone is interested in import music as well i just happened upon a website called cdjapan which sells physical copies of even hard to find disks of groups such as akb48 or the older releases of ayu-sama (hamasaki, ayumi).

@wip99gt
i really do not read all that much manga. i have the full collection of rurouni kenshin and am currently collecting the new uncensored releases of tenjhou tenge but that is it. my brother does all the manga collecting and i do all of the manga collecting. we swap once in awhile so i've probably read perhaps 20 or so different series which is a pittance compared to the sheer amount on the market.

a few more names to throw out... does anyone remember some of the classics? in american cartoons and japanese anime...

zoids
pirates of the black water
thundercats
he-man defender of the universe

some old goldies.

another question for all of you anime fans out there... has anyone actually made a trek to japan? tokyo? akihabara? i have. if you have any questions let me know!

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I had pretty much no TV until '96. I got burnt out hippies for parents. I've seen a couple of episodes of Thundercats and He-Man but didn't really do much for me. Of course I was sober and 20 at the time. I can see how they'd be good if I grew up seeing them.

well you have to remember they were childrens shows. at the time it was much better than power rangers and other such childrens shows. to be honest i look at them now and find the whole lot of them almost unbearable.

well except zoids.. i could probably watch that still. who doesnt like robot animals.

daveeed12

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012

Hey, this is pretty cool. Can you recommend some for me? I prefer action and scifi/fantasy. I already watched One Piece, Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach. Can you pick a series that is pretty short? Not crazy long like the ones I've listed. I don't really want adult-themed and the story line has to be pretty good. A good example would be Death Note! I prefer English subtitles :)

kaze no stigma
yu yu hakusho
baki the grappler
kenichi the mightiest disciple
utawarerumono
xxxholic
gurren lagann
kekkaishi
fairy tail

all good places to start. ranging from 1-4 seasons.

deathnote is a bit more "adult themed"... in which i would have easily said the following

ghost in the shell
ghost hunt
shiki

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The New movies of Berserk are really good. Part 1 and part 2 are already out and both are really good. Nice animation, non cliched story and brutal fight scenes. Very excited for Part 3 that will be released this year.

jupitor45424

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Avoid Dragon Ball Z and after. Dragon Ball is pretty good, but Z, GT, ect is a lot of sweaty guy on guy moaning.

Ghost in the Shell is epic. Bleach is epic when not in filler episodes or comical scenes.

@krowey

i agree. fairy tail is definitely a good solid show. while perhaps not the best per se its good enough to warrant being on a much watch list. you may also like kekkaishi and hero tales.

@jupitor

dragonball z and dragonball gt are classics. they are fighting anime so there is going to be alot of sweating, hitting and similar actions. dragonball is less fighting and more backstory.

if you think dbz is bad check out baki the grappler. that show is 100% testosterone and makes dbz fighting look like childs play.

i do agree that ghost in the shell is a very well done show. did you realize they made two seasons and (at least) 3 movies? the movies are well done but lesser known so you may want to check them out. other thought provoking anime you may like are deathnote, code geass and yugo the negotiator.

i am also a fan of bleach and do agree that bleach uses way too many filler episodes. you may be interested in the four movies they produced. other shounen series you may like are naruto shippuden, one piece (though technically i find it way to childish), kekkaishi, fairy tail, hero tales and flame of recca.

----

anyone else care to keep this thread moving?

i'm definitely game for more recomendations, descriptions or topics.

jupitor45424

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I seen all the ghost in the shell movies and both seasons. I actually own all the mvoies and both seasons as well. Bleach goes from epic to down right retarded and then back to epic.

DBZ is the best out of the DMZ series. Everything after DBZ to me is gay on gay moaning. The freeza saga was pretty epic. I loved Code Geass's 2 seasons. I'll have to check out deathnote.

You may like Innocent Venus. Epic story involving power armor. Robotech the macross saga is really good.

for the (rediculously high i might add) price of bleach sets i also get aggrivated by "comedy filler" as it normally is rather dumb. i did not mind the filler added with the rouge soul reaper as it was somewhat entertaining.

i'm not quite sure why you think GT is that way. i will admit quite a bit of the (whole) series is either speeches, powering up or so called groaning but its a fighting anime and it fits. while far from perfect the series is still one of the shows which really launched anime into the americas (and foreign countries).

i found disk 2 and 3 of innocent venus and have them sitting on my desk. i have yet to buy disk 1 and am waiting to get the disk before i watch it.

i have some of the (old) macross box sets but am missing quite a few. i gave thought to purchasing the new complete remastered series box but the price is quite high where i saw it. i could order it online cheaper but i thought it was only and okay series and not truly epic in any way.

as far as space based animation goes i am quite partial to vandread and outlaw star.

if you like power armor... you absolutely need to watch broken blade, full metal panic and perhaps project arms.

if you care to list a few more shows you like i may be able to list even more things you can check out. my movie collection consists of more than 950 cases. consider that quite a few are season sets (multi disk) and that around 1/3 of that +/- is animation.

jupitor45424

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I enjoyed...

Mech anime:
Gundam wing zero, Gundam 08th team, Gundam 00, G Gundam, Innocent Venus, Code Gease, robotech, Neon Genesis Evangelion - Might buy Gundam Seed.

Cyborg type:
All ghost in the shells (1st fav). - Would like some opinions on other cyborg type anima to get.

Others:
Bleach, Dragon Ball, Blacker than black (my 2nd fav anime), Naruto (epic at times).

I seen much more but if you could give me some English dubbed anime ideas that fall into the genre and similar to what I listed I'll thank you.

i may relist a few from my last post here but bear with me, its easier for me to remember.

mech:
gurran laggan - over the top perhaps but definitely a classic.
broken blade - definitely has some unique concepts and well done.
full metal panic - a bunch of comedy filler but likeable characters and concepts
vandread - space anime with combining mech suits. one of my favorites.
heroic age - implants morph people into giant robots. another well done series.
straight jacket - its a movie worth watching.
neon genesis evanglion 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 (whenever it comes out that is).
aquarion - enjoyable but overdone in places.

cyborg:
appleseed and appleseed ex machina - very well done movies
project arms - genetic manipulation on arms (with full transformation). not bad
virus buster serge - very strange indeed. i never finished it.
s-cry-ed - odd box which is hard to fit on my shelf but excellent show

other:

i'll just list what they are similar to or just state that its one worth looking at

buso renkin (bleach, naruto)
kekkaishi (bleach, naruto)
yu yu hakusho (bleach, naruto, dbz)
samurai x/rurouni kenshin (bleach, darker than black)
devil may cry (darker then black - but mostly just a recommend)
fairy tail (naruto)
flame of recca (bleach, naruto)
samurai deeper kyo (bleach)
tenjo tenge (bleach, naruto - but mostly just a recommend)
baki the grappler (dbz)
kenichi the mightiest disciple (dbz, bleach, naruto)

all are available region 1 with professionally done english dubbing.

i do have two recommendations which are not available in english:

samurai harem: if you like harems and samurai its a classic. some action, some comedy.

detroit metal city (dmc) - it is absolutely rediculous and no dubbing could ever do it justice. this is a required must watch. you may not understand the show until you are at least a few episodes in. in short a wanna be country singer wuss ends up as the lead singer of a hardcore deathmetal band known thought to be a demon. trust me on this one...

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
@ssdx
RahXephon is really weird but in a good way

oh and go watch vandread and break blade (vandread is futuristic sci-fi mecha and break blade is... set in the future but the distant future so everthings ended up back to more or less the middle ages - the middle ages with mecha)

keigo_kanzaki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Currently Servant x Service is airing in Japan, and depending on your region, maybe you could watch it online too. It's quite a good comedy/slice of life anime about public servants somewhere in Hokkaido.