[SOLVED] Good budget CPU cooler for Ryzen 5 2600?

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
So recently I was receiving sporadic crashing recently and this has been covered on another topic, however randomly when I play, my computer would crash to a no display and my peripherals would also be switched off. I discovered that if I stress tested my CPU, I am guaranteed to crash again, therefore I decided to check the temps and sure enough, it was going straight up to 88c, which considering with the stock cooler, that isn't normal. After my CPU reaches 88c my computer shows no display. However the computer is fine once I restart it and turn it on. Currently I have idle temps of 40c and on a hot time, 50c, however I let my room get cooled so it went down to 40c surprisingly. So it comes down to this, is my PSU at fault here, or is it just my PC protecting my parts from overheating and getting damaged? If so, my RTX2060 is coming tommorow, and I would like to know if it is more worth it to replace my CX450 first or get a better cooler. If I am to get a better cooler, please give me a good model for an AM4 chipset. I gave my friend some thermal paste to borrow but he threw it in the bin stupidly as well. My specs:

-GTX1050 (RTX2060 on thursday)
-Ryzen 5 2600
-16GB 3200mhz RAM
-CX450

Theoretically I should be fine with the CX450 and the RTX2060 but I am limited on a budget so I need to either get a better cooler as my priority, or a better PSU. Or I can just order some thermal paste. Thank you!

Solution
Your stock cooler should be adequate.
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your fan arrangement.
Any cpu cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Also, you will be installing a hotter graphics card that needs good intake airflow.
Try taking your case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to case cooling solutions.
Your best option may be a better case.

If you ever buy a replacement cooler, it will come with thermal paste.

And, 450w may be a bit marginal for your gpu upgrade:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Also, you will be installing a hotter graphics card that needs good intake airflow.

Solution

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

It's a pretty old and bad case but it is the xion mATX, it has 1 case fan however temporarily I will be buying new thermal paste, and the Cx450 is going to be replaced ASAP therefore no overclocking will be done. Very certain it's because a lot of thermal paste was smudged when putting on the stock cooler, I plan on replacing my case and replacing my cooler shortly after I buy a better power supply.

CM hyper 212 is 158mm tall.
If this is your case, it has only 155mm headroom for a cpu cooler.
https://www.newegg.com/black-with-b...-series-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811208059
Past that, I found the 212 to be difficult to mount properly.
Cryorig H7 is a smaller cooler that will fit.

Your case with only 1 front 120mm is going to not cool a hot gpu well.
It is a good looking case, but to get more airflow into the case to cool your parts, you should buy a higher rpm front intake fan. Something in the 1600 rpm class . Expect to pay $15 or more.

TRENDING THREADS