Good budget light gaming build?

wxyjac

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Okay, I asked around, and finally decided on this build.

HDD & DVD Writer: $52- Seagate Barracuda 500GB & LiteOn

RAM: $32- GSkill NS 2X 2gb

PSU: $70 ( $50 after rebate) - XFX Core Edition PRO550W

GPU: $175- Sapphire Radeon 6870

Case: $30- Xigmatek Asguard II

Motherboard & CPU combo: $175- i3-2100 & Biostar H61

Total: $535 ($515 after rebate)

Here's a few questions:

1. Are they good working together? I don't want to spend all the money, and then suddenly realized some pin doesn't go in, or not enough connectors, or computer crashed because parts are not friendly to each other.

2. I am planning to use this build for quite a while, like at least 4 years, so I am also wondering if this build can last that long (disregarding incidents that may occur along the way)?

3. Should I consider putting money into cooling system? And if yes, would regular fan(s) do just fine?

4. I haven't gotten an os yet. However, my sister has a Windows XP installation disc. Is it possible for me to install that Windows XP, and then upgrade it to Windows 7 professional? There's a student discount on the microsoft website, only 30 dollar for an OS, but I am worried that I need to register my computer first. (Like you know diablo 2 and diablo 2:LOD they are using both CD key? Is that the case here?)

5. I am planning to use my old monitor for a while, I shouldn't have problem using older/crappier monitors right? (It's quite old, considered it came out like ~6 years ago).

wxyjac

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Oh, thanks.

So dual core makes the computer lifetime shorter? Or you mean 2 years as gaming requirements will be much higher within two years?

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
your second meaning is correct, by the time, the games would be more demanding as the technology change, a quad core will be optimal for that.
i will opt for an i5 2300(185) and a h61 mobo. which can cost 60$
you can go with this cheap psu alternative
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-152-028&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo 40$

try to strech your budget to 30 more as an quad core will last you 3-4 years.

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I don't have time to comment on the rest of the build right now, but in terms of your OS:

You don't have to put any windows XP cd key in when upgrading. I was worried before I upgraded because I wanted to still use my windows XP CD on another computer in case of an emergency (I got the student deal as well) but nothing ever came up saying that they were registering my CD key in order for me to upgrade (I know that when you go to purchase it it says "windows xp/vista required".

spillz1123

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

wxyjac

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks everyone for the help!

I am going to stick with my original build; maybe with an extra fan.

I appreciate the recommendation for quad core cpu, only the problem is that the game I am currently playing only uses one core, so having more cores wouldn't do much. Not sure about future, but I think 2 years is quite long enough to save up (of course, 4 years would be awesome)!

For the RAM stick recommendation, I will have to take a look into future game's requirements, since most games right now barely uses 4 GB. Besides, it's always easy to replace RAM, so I think 4 GB should be sufficient for a while.

Again, thanks everyone for helping. Have a nice day!