Good build for 11/12 year old

CPU2016

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017
My cousin is looking for a build, he currently plays minecraft (but I'm pretty sure that that will change as he get's older). I want to TEACH him how to build a computer but I'm not sure what parts to use. I know that he likes colors, and the cool looking cases but his budget is $800-$900. Can someone help me make a parts list with all the cool stuff, that will last but is not extremely difficult to make?(Include A/C wifi card)

Please use PCpartpicker for lists

Solution
EXAMPLE ONLY: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xWRnxY

I didn't fully research every part, plus I'm not sure of the budget and what parts matter, country etc.

(no SSD, keyboard/mouse yet but the CPU + graphics is good for medium gaming)

So it's a STARTING POINT.

*note the motherboard has AC Wi-Fi. A half decent AC solution was about $40USD so I went back and looked at motherboards and chose that $150USD version that had wi-fi AC already.
Please confirm what that includes... EVERYTHING?

monitor,
computer,
keyboard/mouse
Windows 10 64-bit
?

And please confirm country (USA?)

I'll make a quick $900USD build including the above to start off.

*I do recommend AMD RYZEN CPU's. You'd likely want then:
a) motheboard with FOUR memory slots, and
b) 2x4GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory (or close)

Ryzen benefits from fast system memory, unlike most Intel CPU's which can get by with a single, slower stick.

EXAMPLE ONLY: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xWRnxY

I didn't fully research every part, plus I'm not sure of the budget and what parts matter, country etc.

(no SSD, keyboard/mouse yet but the CPU + graphics is good for medium gaming)

So it's a STARTING POINT.

*note the motherboard has AC Wi-Fi. A half decent AC solution was about $40USD so I went back and looked at motherboards and chose that $150USD version that had wi-fi AC already.

Solution
Since you said he is playing minecraft now, I assume peripherals are available. So keeping that in mind :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($196.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: MyDigitalSSD - BPX 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $853.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-24 23:15 EDT-0400
Forgot the wifi card : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r7RFf7/gigabyte-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42-none-wi-fi-adapter-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42
All he needs to do is upgrade to a better gpu later on. And maybe better peripherals.