Good build list ? Help appreciated.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Recently saw this on new egg. Some decent parts in the list, wanted to see if this is a good bang for the buck ? Closing in on my final build time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1068626

For those of you who don't want to click links and/or are too busy to do so :

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI Z77MA-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX

MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Model:N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC)

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified,

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K (Model:BX80637I53570K)

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST1000DM003)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Also comes with some 20$ cd drive, but I'll only be using it to install the OS.

Total comes to right around 850$ for all of it, about 950$ with the OS.

It -feels- cheap, and that worries me. Do you guys think those parts are of solid quality ? I looked at the reviews and most were,at minimum, 4 eggs while others rocked 5 eggs.

I really like the i5 3570k, It's got a lot of power for it's pricepoint and I don't need an i7.

The GTX 660 Ti looks pretty nice from what I've looked at and I was originally looking at a GTX 670, though they don't seem to be off each other by too huge of margin.

Given that price, I'm able to invest in some peripherals for the system, thinking about a spare storage drive ( as I do a LOT of video recording / editing / music editing ) And have a pretty extensive music collection and game collection.
I'm thinking a western digital caviar black 2t ? 180 bucks isn't too bad for tripling my storage space.

Do you think I could get a better deal with different parts ?

I'm concerned about quality here, so definitely trying to get fact checked before I start thinking about buying.

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Looks solid.
Riskiest part would be the msi motherboard, but then, that's subjective.
If you can get the 670 then by all means do,it's a much better card.
3tb Seagate is the way to go.
As for better parts,Asus LK is a good board
Antec have better psu's for abit more
The 212 EVO works better.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I'm seriously considering investing some of the leftover budget into either a 670 or even a 680. For about a week now I've been thinking around 1400-1600 for the full build, and now that I see about 1k for it all, I can't help but feel like I should invest a little more.

Do you think I'd be able to sell off the 660 ti ? Ebay it or something ? Would I actually be able to make some money off of it or would it be more like " you get an awesome deal because I can't give this thing away " ? I literally just lost my mind on newegg last night and added a bunch of things to the card ( peripherals and such ) and still didn't hit my budget with this setup, so I figure I can cut the fluff and get some serious power somewhere.

Redid the build on partpicker with the items you suggested. Still only 1300 ( With a GTX 680 :OOOO )

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/koDX

Does that look a little more solid to you ? I'm looking for longevity out of these parts, I hate RMA. :/

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Premium parts?
Gigabyte z77 ud5h has pretty much every slot imaginable on a motherboard.
It doesn't get more futureproof than a sapphire TOXIC 7970 ghz edition.
Corsair Graphite 600T in white. Stunning.
Antec Truepower New 550w or Seasonic S12ii 520w
LG 14x blu ray burner.

Can you eBay the 660ti? Sure, it's a new card,the value is still there.A $20-30 price cut will have it gone.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
No. Don't get the 680.
You're throwing away ~$100 for a 5% difference from the 670.

Your PSU won't suffice. Get at least 550w.

The Toxic 7970 GHz is a great card, but you'll need a 5-6 monitor Eyefinity setup to justify all that extra cost for the 6gb VRAM.
Vapor-X 7970 Ghz is the way to go. :)

If you're willing to up your budget that much, might as well get an SSD enjoy amazing boot up and loading times. That way, you'll just need a storage HDD for large files- a 2-3TB 5400RPM is what I would recommend.

+1 on the UD5H, though it's a tad pricey.

Your RAM choice has tall heat spreaders. Those will get in the way when installing the CPU cooler and will most likely give you a hard time.
Consider low profile versions like the G.Skill Ares/Sniper.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I'm glad you guys mentioned the Ram there. I knew G. Skill had a set of really tall ram, and figured I'd be clueless enough to select it. Thanks for the specific names. Going to mess with the config. I'll be getting windows 8 ( despite my lack of enthusiasm for it. ) Going to check on the SSD and see what I can set up. Any reccomended brands when it comes to the SSD / storage HDD ? Also, I checked out that Corsair case. Gorgeous. That seagate 3T is definitely a great deal. 3T is a lot of storage, now I'm just curious about an SSD.

Also, as a sidenote, the new parts list : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ktRU

Suprisingly not as much of a jump as I thought it might be, relatively the same pricepoint for more performance ( and sex appeal to boot. :O )

There's quite a few drives that are relatively cheap. Any size I should be aiming for ? Since it's a boot drive, I'd assume I'm mostly worried about priority applications and the OS for it. There's a 128gb for dirt cheap http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vtx425sat3128g

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Vertex 4 is a good ssd,one of the fastest. Other,more OOMPH ssd's include Corsair Force GS,Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire,OCZ Max IOPS.But the performance difference is in half seconds. 128gb is the sweet spot for a boot drive.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
And how does one set said profile to xmp ? Is that done through the bios on the mobo ? Definitely think I'll pick up that Vertex 4, super cheap and shows some serious upgrades in power. Thanks for the big help so far.

nightflights

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Oh, huge help with the link. Looks easy enough. I can use the RAM packaging as a cheatsheet anyway. :p

edit : The first link had gigabyte for me right under the ASrock one XD ; So worked out !

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kugf

The build with all the parts, still sitting 25 bucks under my budget ( for the actual build.) I'm sure it will cap out with shipping, but I really feel like I got the most out of my money now.