[SOLVED] Good build??

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
Hey,

I am looking forward to build a new PC for both video editing and gaming. I have listed the specs below and please tell me if there is any component that i should change.

Thanks!

Specifications:

Processor : Intel i7 8th gen
Motherboard : Gigabyte
GPU : GTX 1660 6GB
PSU : Coolermaster 650w
RAM : 8GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
SSD : Samsung 860 evo 240gb

Solution
Well, without knowing the exact model numbers of your CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU we can't exactly say.

A couple of things though.

1. You should use a min of an I5 8400 - But i'd suggest and I7 8700/k
  2. Ram Should be in dual channel. If you must go for only 8gbs, get 2 x 4gb matched kit. Preferably some 3000mhz ram. Ideally you want 2 x 8gb (16gbs total) matched kit for better gaming performance. If you use only one stick of ram it's in single channel mode, You lose performance by not having dual channel (approx 10-15% fps). 8gbs used to be the sweet spot for gaming. Now it's 16gbs. There are a lot of games that use more than 8gbs of system ram. Once 8gbs fills up it uses the swap/page file on the HDD, and this can be really slow and cause...
Well, without knowing the exact model numbers of your CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU we can't exactly say.

A couple of things though.

1. You should use a min of an I5 8400 - But i'd suggest and I7 8700/k
  2. Ram Should be in dual channel. If you must go for only 8gbs, get 2 x 4gb matched kit. Preferably some 3000mhz ram. Ideally you want 2 x 8gb (16gbs total) matched kit for better gaming performance. If you use only one stick of ram it's in single channel mode, You lose performance by not having dual channel (approx 10-15% fps). 8gbs used to be the sweet spot for gaming. Now it's 16gbs. There are a lot of games that use more than 8gbs of system ram. Once 8gbs fills up it uses the swap/page file on the HDD, and this can be really slow and cause FPS stuttering and a bad game experience.
  3. PSU. Coolermaster doesn't mean much. Ideally you want a decent Gold model PSU from EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic. Don't cheap out on a PSU. It's as important as any other component.

Solution
Hey,

I am looking forward to build a new PC for both video editing and gaming. I have listed the specs below and please tell me if there is any component that i should change.

Thanks!

Specifications:

Processor : Intel i7 8th gen
Motherboard : Gigabyte
GPU : GTX 1660 6GB
PSU : Coolermaster 650w
RAM : 8GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
SSD : Samsung 860 evo 240gb

You will need more ram, min 16 GB.

The SSD is fine for the main drive, but you will need more storage for games etc, get a 1 TB drive for the 2nd drive.

Change the PSU to a good quality one like Seasonic Focus Plus, Corsair RMX or EVGA G2.

TRENDING THREADS