Good card for a simple PSU

G

Hi, I have a Cooler Master 500w PSU with only 1 6pin adapter and 2 18amp 12v rails.
My question is, can I run a good graphics card on this PSU? or is upgrading my only option???

This is my future build that I need the card for:
msi p55 gd65
4gb ddr3
1 250gb hdd
1 optical drive
core i5 stock speed/stock cooling
500w psu

I like games like GTA IV (PC) and NFS

can anyone suggest a pci x16 2.0 card that could run these games on playable settings with my psu, thnx

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
it is empossible to bottleneck a processor with a low power graphics card. it is the other way around.
I have a 410 watt psu (it isnt name brand or anything) and i have a geforce 9800 gt and it powers if fine

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

i said the gpu may bottleneck because of the psu. not the card bottlenecking the processor

G

if my psu can run it at 1280x1024 then thats great but i will be happy with 600x800 as long as it does not look like a slideshow 30fps and above, running gta isnt a problem for me, i ran it on 9400gt, i just dont want it to freeze everytime i drive to fast or something explodes in the game

G

thanks for the link, i didnt know that, but since i dont have a lot of hardware most of that 360 will go to the card, the problem is that most of the high end cards i checked needed more then 500, especially the gtx cards, i dont care about company (ati/nvidia) price performance ratio is the most important for me

No, they want a 500 watt PSU total, for the entire system, a 4770 only has a TDP of about 80 watts, a 4870 which asks for a 500 has almost twice that. They have those requirements because they apply to the POS PSU most people use, yours qualifies as one of those. Good PSUs on the other hand, like an earthwatts from Antec, are rated at what they can easily handle, not their max safe limit, an EA380 can provide almost as much useful power as your 500 watt PSU which is why it seems so expensive compared to the POS ones out there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

Your PSU will be able to handle a 4770 fine, but a 4870 or a GTX260 might be pushing it a bit too hard.

G

its almost as powerful as my psu but its more expensive though, the reason I dont want to get rid of this psu is because i will need a lot of money to build the rest of the system, i just started ordering parts for it from newegg

Well here is another nice inexpensive power supply. Note the front fan and how it sticks out from the PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152032&Tpk=raidmax%20450

Do you want to see what happens to it when you put 75% load on it? Note the front fan sticks out from the PSU housing.
http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747

You will need to upgrade your PSU when you build the rest of the system, its best to buy a good one now that will last you for many years than toast your mobo if it decides to die.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Your psu can handle up to a gtx275 or 4890. I personally would wait a few more weeks and see what ati 5xxx series has to offer not to mention current cards will have a price drop. So its a win-win situation. If you cant gtx260 or 4870.

G

but it also has to power an i5 with msi p55 gd65 mobo will it still be enough

TRENDING THREADS