[SOLVED] Good card for i7 8700k

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I have an Asus ROG Strix z390 Gaming E motherboard and i7 8700k not overclocked and not interested doing so. Would like to know a perfect EVGA card that won't bottleneck my CPU at 60hz. Plan on getting 75hz later but for now 60hz. Is a 2060 too stressful for my CPU or should I just get something less than that? I wanna be sure I don't bottleneck. I have a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHZ CMW16GX4M2C3000C15. Nothing is overclocked but XMP set. Advice? I currently have a 1060 6gb SSC and I badly need thermal paste changes though cuz it bottleneck my ivy bridge CPU lol.

Solution
You can use ANY and ALL graphics cards with that processor and memory combination. If you wanted to use a 2080 TI, it would not be a problem. Even a brand new 9900k would only be marginally better than your CPU except in threaded performance, since it can process four additional threads and in games that support full use of available threads, there would be a moderate improvement.

However, by no means would we ever say that the 8700k was going to "bottleneck", ANY graphics card. So buy the highest tiered card you can afford and feel is reasonable for your usage at the resolution and settings you plan to play at, and don't let the consideration of the CPU be a factor.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sk8ernut.dw : "Good card for i7 8700k"

I have an Asus ROG Strix z390 Gaming E motherboard and i7 8700k not overclocked and not interested doing so. Would like to know a perfect EVGA card that won't bottleneck my CPU at 60hz. Plan on getting 75hz later but for now 60hz. Is a 2060 too stressful for my CPU or should I just get something less than that? I wanna be sure I don't bottleneck. I have a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHZ CMW16GX4M2C3000C15. Nothing is overclocked but XMP set. Advice? I currently have a 1060 6gb SSC and I badly need thermal pad changes though cuz it bottleneck my ivy bridge CPU lol. I wouldn't mind go 144hz but meh why would I need to. Be nice to go 75hz or 120hz. 75hz is good enough for me I guess. I am running DVI-D cuz my old monitor doesn't support HDMI or Display port

You can use ANY and ALL graphics cards with that processor and memory combination. If you wanted to use a 2080 TI, it would not be a problem. Even a brand new 9900k would only be marginally better than your CPU except in threaded performance, since it can process four additional threads and in games that support full use of available threads, there would be a moderate improvement.

However, by no means would we ever say that the 8700k was going to "bottleneck", ANY graphics card. So buy the highest tiered card you can afford and feel is reasonable for your usage at the resolution and settings you plan to play at, and don't let the consideration of the CPU be a factor.

Solution

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Would my Samsung 830 256gb and Seagate Firecuda 1TB affect anything with this build? I know it shouldn't. Thanks. I have been meaning to upgrade my SSD though lol. Will later down the road.