Good CCQ and Signal , Still high ping ( Using Mikrotik Radio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
.so i got a wireless internet from a local isp , but sometimes my DNS ping time goes as high as 300 ! but when everything is normal its around 2-3 ms.

my ccq is above 90% , and signal Strength is around -60 and Signal To Noise 40 db
also the frequency that im using has a very low usage , and i changed to other low usage frequencies and the problem didn't solve( my bandwidth is empty when the ping time goes high and ping time to my access point and my radio is 1ms since im using a lan connection)

my isp says its because of the noise around the area that i live !!! but wouldn't that effect ccq or signal Strength ? and when the ping time goes from 3 to 300 my CCQ or my signal Strength does not change !

so are they lying to me ? is there a problem with their routers or something ? or can it be actually the noise from my area ?

also my radio is mikrotik sextant g 5hpnd

PSA , when the DNS ping time goes from 3ms to 300ms , the signal strength , CCQ or signal to noise , non of them changes ! so it just goes from 3ms to 300ms all of the sudden without any change to any parameters !

and distance is 14km

Solution

Wireless is susceptible to intermittent sources of interference that may not be indicated by the SNR or signal strength on the mikrotik device.

Also, the ISP antenna to which your service is connected is likely shared by many customers, so your ping response time will be negatively affected by usage among those clients.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Wireless is susceptible to intermittent sources of interference that may not be indicated by the SNR or signal strength on the mikrotik device.

Also, the ISP antenna to which your service is connected is likely shared by many customers, so your ping response time will be negatively affected by usage among those clients.

Solution

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

well right now they told me that it's because of the noise , not the users

is there anyway that we would know they are telling the truth or not ?

also why this "noise" would not effect my CCQ ? if this CCQ doesn't show the quality of the link then whats the use of it ? and if the CCQ is like 100% then why would it be a noise problem ? WHY its not changing the CCQ or SOMETHING at least ? if we cant determine any problem with wireless connections then what the hell are these parameters for then ? ??? so we can't be sure with ANY problem with wireless connections ? as soon as a problem occurs we would be like " uhh this might be a noise problem , only god knows for sure " and thats it ? what the hell ?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

My thoughts are that it would be easier for your ISP to blame excessive ping response on noise, since it is something they can't control. Blaming it on the number of active users would force them to admit that their system is inadequate to handle many customers, which would be unappealing to current and potential subscribers of their service.

Are you able to determine if they are being less than truthful? Probably not to any certain degree, and not without more sophisticated equipment for analyzing the wireless environment. Given that your router shows good CCQ, SNR and signal strength, you have a right to be skeptical.

In any case, there is likely very little you can do, other than try to elevate the issue or switch to a different ISP.

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

but i wanna know that is it even POSSIBLE to have good CCQ and signal and Frequency Usage , and still get a high ping without bandwidth usage ? because if that is not even possible to happen , then i might just sue them

but before sueing them i need to know whether it is possible or not ? and if it is possible then why the hell its not effecting the ccq ?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You've mentioned high ping to a DNS server, but that doesn't tell if the excessive ping is due to the wireless connection. You would need to analyze ping response times to the first segment past the mikrotik, and that is assuming the device responding to the ping is located with the wireless equipment.

You can't directly relate ping response times to CCQ.
Good CCQ doesn't equal good ping, and poor CCQ doesn't necessarily equal bad ping.

If it's just high DNS ping, have you tried using a different DNS server?

To answer your question, it is possible to have good CCQ and high ping.

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

yes trying different DNS didnt work

also i used tracert , and the ping goes up from first hop after 192.168.1.1 ( my radio ) , which is my ISP's DNS server

and i spoked with an expert and he said to get the ip address of the Radio that my radio is connecting to ( my isp's radio)
and check if the ping time is ok , and also do a bandwidth test ( in tools tab in mikrotik's console ) with that ip , can you confirm this ?

but the isp didn't give the ip address of the radio , "because of security reasons" they said
and i could not find that ip address using WinBox neighbors , and it didn't show up in the tracert !! why i can't find it with tracert ?

what should i do now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.