[SOLVED] Good cheap cpu to pair with a RX 580?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I've come to the realisation that I really overpay for my gaming systems, I rarely play anything that takes any strong hardware, so I've sold pretty much all my gaming rig and looking to downgrade. I'm pretty set on the RX 580 for about £100 second hand I think it's great deal as I have a free sync 144hz monitor.

The thing I'm stuck on is a cpu and mobo combo any thoughts on them? Both can be second hand and both ideally equal to £150 I've looked at alot of options on the cpu but the best I can find is 2600? Is this the best I can do because that's costs me £100 alone second hand

Solution
Think I'm definitely going to have to go with the 3100. It's on par with the 2600 with newer architecture. However the boards you suggested I cannot find any that aren't micro or mini ATX boards are they all that size or am I looking in the wrong places?
As far as I know the a520 boards are all mATX except this one. The Ryzen 3 3100 is a Matisse CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600. You can use a B450 board if it has updated bios. MSI boards with 'Max' in the name are good to go. This will go over your budget and upgradability to Zen 3 becomes questionable.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6dtxjp
I've come to the realisation that I really overpay for my gaming systems, I rarely play anything that takes any strong hardware, so I've sold pretty much all my gaming rig and looking to downgrade. I'm pretty set on the RX 580 for about £100 second hand I think it's great deal as I have a free sync 144hz monitor.

The thing I'm stuck on is a cpu and mobo combo any thoughts on them? Both can be second hand and both ideally equal to £150 I've looked at alot of options on the cpu but the best I can find is 2600? Is this the best I can do because that's costs me £100 alone second hand
A new Ryzen 5 2600 is only £130 so I don't really see the point of buying used for £100. You can get a new, inexpensive B450 board for about £70, so about £200 for both brand new.

Reactions: RodroX

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
A new Ryzen 5 2600 is only £130 so I don't really see the point of buying used for £100. You can get a new, inexpensive B450 board for about £70, so about £200 for both brand new.
The only issue I have is £30 is a decent chunk I can put to the new xbox. I mainly want a pc that can run pc exclusive games like league of legends, and run other games like overwatch, call of duty and other shooter games. For graphically demanding games I'm going for the new xbox, first time ever I've swapped my main gaming to a console but price to performance it knocks any pc I can buy out of the water.

So I'm kind of getting my options for cheap like really cheap cpus and mobos. I'm pretty set on the 580 as its a good card and will do everything I need and I have a free sync monitor. I have the rest of the system 3200mhz 16gb ram a good psu as I'm using my build but selling off anything of serious value. Like my 2060, 3700x and my x570 mobo, and downgrading as its only over a month for the new console.

So do you have anything under the 2600 price that you'd recommend? I was looking at the 1200 af but the only issue is I run a dual monitor set up and it doesn't allow hyper threading :/

The only issue I have is £30 is a decent chunk I can put to the new xbox. I mainly want a pc that can run pc exclusive games like league of legends, and run other games like overwatch, call of duty and other shooter games. For graphically demanding games I'm going for the new xbox, first time ever I've swapped my main gaming to a console but price to performance it knocks any pc I can buy out of the water.

So I'm kind of getting my options for cheap like really cheap cpus and mobos. I'm pretty set on the 580 as its a good card and will do everything I need and I have a free sync monitor. I have the rest of the system 3200mhz 16gb ram a good psu as I'm using my build but selling off anything of serious value. Like my 2060, 3700x and my x570 mobo, and downgrading as its only over a month for the new console.

So do you have anything under the 2600 price that you'd recommend? I was looking at the 1200 af but the only issue is I run a dual monitor set up and it doesn't allow hyper threading :/
You could use a Ryzen 3 3100 4 core / 8 thread. It will keep up with a rx 580. An A520 board will allow later upgrade to Zen 3. Low budget, good performance and upgradeable. win-win.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCHTsk

Reactions: RodroX

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
You could use a Ryzen 3 3100 4 core / 8 thread. It will keep up with a rx 580. An A520 board will allow later upgrade to Zen 3. Low budget, good performance and upgradeable. win-win.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCHTsk
Think I'm definitely going to have to go with the 3100. It's on par with the 2600 with newer architecture. However the boards you suggested I cannot find any that aren't micro or mini ATX boards are they all that size or am I looking in the wrong places?

As far as I know the a520 boards are all mATX except this one. The Ryzen 3 3100 is a Matisse CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600. You can use a B450 board if it has updated bios. MSI boards with 'Max' in the name are good to go. This will go over your budget and upgradability to Zen 3 becomes questionable.

Last edited:
Solution

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I had a research into micro boards I didn't know that they're pretty much the same as full boards unless you want all the features which I don't, so I'm going go with one of the MSI boards the 3100 and my RX 580 thanks for you help, my psu is an evga 650w so I can upgrade in future with no problems anyway if I want to get back into serious pc gaming