Good & Cheap replacement CPU fan for P4 S478?

shaitan00

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Ok - I have an old P4 S478 system that I still use all the time (wife's PC) but lately (past 6months) it gets extremely loud when at normal temperatures and insanely loud when it gets hot, sounds like a jet engine going off in my office and it has become unberable.

Now, I am going to buy some Artic Silver 5 to help a little, but I thought while I am at it might as well replace the Intel CPU fan itself (I am still using the one that came with it 5 years ago).

My goal is simple, reduce the noise as much as possible while incuring the lowest cost (this is an old P4 system - not looking to spend $100 on a super-Zalman crazy air-cooling unit). Any recommendations?

Given that my fan is over 5 years old I was simply thinking of buying another stock intel fan (exact same but new) at $19 CDN, however in that price range there are a few other options, some of which may be better (I've got no clue) and I was hoping for some advice....

What do you think?
- Stock Intel s478 CPU fan for $19 CDN
- Cooler Master DI4-8JD3B-0L s478 CPU fan for $19 CDN
- MANHATTAN 701853 S478 fan for $19 CDN
- ... anything else you would suggest in the same price range ...

Which would give the best cooling without generating jet-engine levels of noise?
Specs-wise the Cooler Master seems to be the best choice but, I assumed the Intel one (given it is made for the P4 CPU) would yeild better cooling...

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,