[SOLVED] Good connection but high ping ?

helloo

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
Hello i recently moved house and i'm dealing with a connection problem. The thing is, i'm paying for a good connection but i have high ping everywhere (browsing the web+playing games). The speedtests show everything right but they are not. Yesterday i was trying to update (download) a game and i was watching that the download speed was going up and down (completely unstable with low download speed most of the times).

I have a wireless usb wifi adapter 2.4ghz and the green light blinks rapidly. I thought that there's a problem there but then i read that "blinking rapidly" is okay. I also tried another wireless adapter (different brand as well) to see if there will be any changes and it also blinks rapidly and the connection is still slow. Last thing to mention is, i open cmd and i type "ping google.com" and i get very high ping results which confirms something is going on. I even tried the "ipconfig /flushdns" and still nothing, i tried to change the dns server address to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and still nothing, i don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
Solution
Ping time has nothing to do with DNS. DNS only coverts the text string to the IP address. The ping command and other networking is actually really using just the IP addresses after they get converted the 1 time.

First thing to try is to ping the router IP. This will test just the wifi and not the internet. To test the internet you really should use a ethernet cable to avoid random issues caused by wifi.

It is extremely common to get large ping times and lots of random variations in the ping on wifi. This is being caused by packet being re transmitted because they were damaged most times by interference. Could be you do not have enough signal levels to over come the interference. If you are using USB devices try to a...
Ping time has nothing to do with DNS. DNS only coverts the text string to the IP address. The ping command and other networking is actually really using just the IP addresses after they get converted the 1 time.

First thing to try is to ping the router IP. This will test just the wifi and not the internet. To test the internet you really should use a ethernet cable to avoid random issues caused by wifi.

It is extremely common to get large ping times and lots of random variations in the ping on wifi. This is being caused by packet being re transmitted because they were damaged most times by interference. Could be you do not have enough signal levels to over come the interference. If you are using USB devices try to a USB extension to move the device away from the PC. After that you have very few option. You might try to change the wifi channels you use on router. This tends to not work as well as it did years ago there is just too much wifi coming from all your neighbors houses. You could also try using 5g radio channels if your device has that option. This is all try to get lucky and find some radio bandwidth you can use that is not being used by everyone else. This tends to only work for a while since you neighbors are doing the same things and may stomp on you again.

Your best option is to not use wifi in these conditions. Consider moca if you have coax cable in both room or powerline network.

Solution