FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have used my cpu for a while and i love the peformance. But it's just that the cooler is not good enough for gaming even without oc or boost on. It gets around 70 to 80 degrees celcius. I am planning to upgrade my cooler but i don't know which one is good for the buck. I like rgb but i like quality and performance over rgb. I have seen the Hyper 212 rgb, Deepcool Gammaxx gt bk and Arctic freezer 34 esports duo. I just can't find any good benchmark video.
My specs:
Msi b450 gaming plus max (with a 4-pin rgb header)
Ryzen 5 3600

If you guys know any good cooler or a personal cooler you like or is performance wise good and is under $60. I would love to hear it.

Greets,

Yorick

Solution
Thanks to everyone for leaving a comment, now i know i am not going to buy watercooling at least. Btw i use the Sharkoon tg5 case with 3 fans at the front and 1 at the back. I am from the Netherlands. So everything is in euros. I am still thinking of what i want to buy. I pretty much like rgb very much personaly. But i dont think i like it over performance. I saw the arctic freezer 34 esports duo or something and that looked nice. And what about the deepcool gammaxx gt bk. I have also heard it has decent performance for its price and has pretty nice rgb. And is the hyper 212 rgb an option? Again, thanks for all the comments.

Fortis 3 rgb...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The stock cooler isn't good for a number of reasons, but the main one is the trend of today's side panels having moved away from side intakes. This hurts the efficiency of top-down area coolers.

That aside, all 3 coolers would work, but the greater thermal headroom, the higher the cpu will try to boost. The Freezer 34 should theoretically be the stronger of the 3.
Thermalright ARO-M14G
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
^A couple more options - if available. That probably didn't help the situation though...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your reply. Is it worth buying a watercooler or not? Or save some money for a better one? That has great rgb and performance or is quiet...

Thanks!
Negative.
See below:
I have an watercooler on my 10900k and since the new cpu can run very warm it dose it job.
It's for monsters like THAT that it's worth getting a liquid cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ML240L is trash - no offense to your buddy. The ML240R is superior.
Avoid going cheap on liquid coolers, because they skimp in the one area they should not: cooling performance.

Liquid coolers do have their upsides over air:
+chassis that only have 1, 2, or no fans preinstalled
+ram compatibility is irrelevant
+allows for 'smoother' temperature curves with 30C or higher room ambient temp
+offer better cooling performance than air for stupidly high power cpus, like the 10900K, for example. Air simply can't compete here.

But they've got their share of downsides as well
-price to performance is worse
-they don't really start 'dusting' air options in performance except with high power cpus, and not until 360mm and higher
-while air has to contend with ram clearance and chassis height, liquid has to contend with the chassis itself; there's limits to size and depth for radiators that will fit in it
-more points of failure - just the most common ones, none of the 'freak accident' types. Air just has the fans. Liquid has the fans and the pump. Once the pump fails, you'd better have a spare cooler on hand...
-they're 'bigger' than air, but in a different manner: Air has this block sitting over the mobo. Liquid(AIO/CLC) has a water block, 2 long tubes, and a radiator, which is basically an extended heatsink. I can handle an air cooler with one hand. Can't do that with liquid.

Neutral points, IMO
=watch out for the 'silent focused' models. They do sacrifice cooling performance to enforce the silent profile, so they will do worse than performance models of the same class.
=liquid coolers are just hybrid air coolers. They still need good airflow to perform efficiently, otherwise the liquid flow is doing all of the work, which brings up another point
=the weaknesses of AIO/CLC is the size of the copper fins on the base plate and the liquid flow rate - pales in comparison to what custom liquid can achieve, but without all the maintenance and planning to set it up.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I remember at the moment.

But my friend has a Cooler master masterliquid ml240l v2 rgb that only costs 65 euros. Is it worth the extra money or is it trash? I apprciate the help.

The ml240 is OK but it still only perfoems about the same as a very good 120mm air cooler or virtually any cheap 140mm air cooler.

What country are you in?

What is your case model and intake / exhaust fan configuration?

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I have 2 separate R5 3600 systems and if it's available where you live for the same price it is here in the USA ($25) I would recommend the Reeven Hans. My other R5 3600 system has a Noctua NH-U12S chromax Black and the Reeven runs 2-4 deg cooler then the Noctua equipped system.
The Amazon review with photo's is my own.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YNHQ8KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One System is installed in a Phanteks P400A and the other is installed in a Fractal Meshify C with both being fully populated with Cougar Vortex fans.
Reeven cooled system
Q1k7ClR.jpg

Noctua cooled system
tGSiVLD.jpg

I should also add I used the stock thermal paste that came with each cooler.
I also have R7 & R9 systems that are also air cooled and the highest temp I've seen is 71C on the R9 system rendering 4K video in Vegas Pro 17.
The amount of folks here that have over heating issues totally baffles me.
AXMBlG0.jpg

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Thanks to everyone for leaving a comment, now i know i am not going to buy watercooling at least. Btw i use the Sharkoon tg5 case with 3 fans at the front and 1 at the back. I am from the Netherlands. So everything is in euros. I am still thinking of what i want to buy. I pretty much like rgb very much personaly. But i dont think i like it over performance. I saw the arctic freezer 34 esports duo or something and that looked nice. And what about the deepcool gammaxx gt bk. I have also heard it has decent performance for its price and has pretty nice rgb. And is the hyper 212 rgb an option? Again, thanks for all the comments.

Fortis 3 rgb

https://www.amazon.nl/SilentiumPC-F...ild=1&keywords=Fortis+3&qid=1598132878&sr=8-2

One of the best price to perfoemance coolers on the market in my opinion.

140mm fan, only 158mm high, zero ram interference.

Every cooler you've mentioned is 120mm, the fortis is far far superior and virtually silent.

Solution

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Sometimes, i buy pc components second hand but... a cooler can have some corrosion and stuf. But if you look at specs. It performs better than a dark rock pro 3. And it has rgb and a 140mm. Sound good right? Thanks for the help. Its late in the evening here so i am going to bed. Il see further comments tomorrow

Reactions: Phaaze88
Sometimes, i buy pc components second hand but... a cooler can have some corrosion and stuf. But if you look at specs. It performs better than a dark rock pro 3. And it has rgb and a 140mm. Sound good right? Thanks for the help. Its late in the evening here so i am going to bed. Il see further comments tomorrow

I own one so it's recommended from me on first hand knowledge.

I have a ryzen 7, it's never gone above 62c even under benchmarking.

And yes it's 4 pin rgb so can be controlled via board software from a 4 pin rgb header.