Question Good CPU cooler for i5-2500k OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraceL

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
CPU: Intel - Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
BIOS version: 0402
Case: NZXT - Phantom ATX Full Tower Case
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: GALAX - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Super Flower - Golden Green HX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

Hello.
I have an Intel i5-2500K that i overclocked to 4.4GHz with 1.33V. I ran Prime95 without AVX enabled and i get temps around 75-81C. From what i've heard those temp range with my voltage is not safe and I need to tone the voltage down. However, i really want this OC setup so i thought of upgrading my CPU cooler.

From the looks of my CPU cooler, i think i have a Thermolab BADA 2010. From a quick google search, i realize that this CPU cooler is really unknown and underground. Thermolab themselves removed this cooler from their website. I don't know how much performance this cooler really packs, but honestly just from how unknown it is i feel like it doesn't have much power.

So first of all, should i even upgrade my cooler? My temps seem pretty high and my cooler seems pretty bad, but maybe all i need is to add some thermal paste because i haven't added any since the first time my father set up this build for me, which is from around 2010 or 2011.

If i should upgrade, what CPU cooler should i get? My system parts are on the top of this post, so i could check for clearance and compatibility. I can't open my case right now so i'll probably add my current cooler dimensions soon. My budget is 80$ max. I'm from Indonesia, so there are maybe some CPU coolers that are not on the market here.

Thanks for reading

TraceL

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I would go for a budget cooler such as the Coolermaster 212 EVO Black or the Masterliquid Lite ML240L if you need more cooling. That case should be able to take either of those easily.

For the Coolermaster, is it the same as this one? I checked the dimensions. My cooler's height and length are shorter than the Hyper 212 Black, while the width of my cooler is larger than the Hyper 212 Black.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black dimensions: 120 x 79.6 x 158.8 (L x W x H) mm
Thermolab BADA 2010 dimensions: 95 x 115 x 135 (L x W x H) mm
I don't know if this means mine has clearance. I am afraid it might hit my RAM. How do i check to see if it is not compatible with my RAM?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
As long as your case supports the height then it doesn't matter.

As was stated, a hyper 212 would work just fine for overclocking.

If personally overclocked to 4.3Ghz on my 2500K back when I had it using a Hyper 212 Evo and I can attest to it's cooling ability on that CPU.

Reactions: TraceL

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The black is a slightly updated design which offers just slightly better performance.
And it's completely black.

If you can afford it, I would get it just for that slight performance improvement and for the aesthetics of having it all black in your system.
Especially if you have a side panel window.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Another company that offers similar price and performance, with a different design and look would be Cryorig. I hvae their H5 Ultimate on my Ryzen 7 2700 and I was able to overclock all 8 cores to 4.0GHz. They also come with high end thermal paste. Just a different option if you like the looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.