Good CPU fan for Phenom II 965

HWJohn

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I am looking for a good CPU fan that will fit in an AM3 slot for my Phenom II x4 965 that will fit in a thermaltake Element V case. Apparently the case only fits 155mm in height, but a lot of the fans are taller than that. Can someone give me a decent fan (3 or 4 pin) that is not Zalman, since they gave me the wrong bolts and I don't trust them. They kinda ruined my christmas

Well, you could take a look at frostytech they have fairly comprehensive reviews including dinesions.
frostytech.com
A couple of the best for AM3 are the Thermaltake frio, and the Spire thermax, but they are all pretty large heatsinks. I run a TRU in a couple of mid tower cases but its a tight fit . But 155mm is a pretty damn big heatsink, I think you'll be ok with the ones I mentioned.

HWJohn

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

I would love to get the frio, but apparently according to the case manual it wouldn't fit. I think I found a good one,
The Coolermaster Hyper N520 on CompUSA the average rating is 4.8 out of 5 with 259 reviews. But like I said I love the look of the frio. Could it be a case of the manual being wrong?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi john... TT element V is a full tower case... i dont see a problem for any cooler to fit in its 220mm width... which zalman did you try to fit??? the mobo and cpu clerance would take about 25mm and the side fan takes another 20mm... that leaves you with around 175mm for you cooler and thats enough to accommodate even a NH D14...

See this pic http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Upload/Product/Product/1900/Photos/46e25c28-8a12-43d8-8b41-3d5dcddac1c4/B__MG_6101.jpg.jpg
It has a SpinQ VT attached to the Element V which is roughly 160mm in height...

HWJohn

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I have decided to go along with the cooler master, what actually drives me away from the frio is the blocking of the DIMM slots on my motherboard. The reviews on it are very good and I am not really planning to overclock unless I need to. I am not a big risk taker as I won't be able to recover financial wise. Thank you for the help and I will consider something else in the future. But as long as I get a good low temp, then I will be happy

TRENDING THREADS