Question Good CPU for the LGA1155

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Hello guys, I bought a PC back in 2013, I have replaced the thermal paste with a mx4 around 2 months ago, and also I have put in a gtx 1050ti in, the processor is pretty good, gives me a cinbench score of 396, but I want to upgrade my CPU, I check on the internet, for some reason, core i7 processors for my socket are very overpriced, the useless codenames also like the Core i5 3220S is overpriced (which is weaker that my processor) at 12K, my processor is the core i5 3330S. I dont want to anything foolish like upgrading my computer because I am not planning to do anything like this, the thing is that if I do that, I will loose all memories with my computer, like I opened my yt channel on that computer and all the moments that I had in Minecraft and fortnite, this is an lenovo all in one, can someone suggest a processor better that the i5 3330S and a site in India where I can buy it for a reasonable price, thank you in advance!

InvalidError

Titan
The fastest CPU you can put in an LGA1155 motherboard which supports Ivy Bridge CPUs like your i3-3220S without OEM restrictions is the i7-3770k.

The reason why higher-end CPUs tend to be expensive is because what few people are still holding onto those CPUs are hoping to find people desperate to breathe new life in their older PCs and are having good enough luck with it to keep doing it. It is often cheaper to just buy a whole used PC and scavenge the parts you want from it - companies often ditch still pretty decent machines at surprisingly low prices. Shipping to somewhere you may be able to pick that up could be an issue though.

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
The fastest CPU you can put in an LGA1155 motherboard which supports Ivy Bridge CPUs like your i3-3220S without OEM restrictions is the i7-3770k.

The reason why higher-end CPUs tend to be expensive is because what few people are still holding onto those CPUs are hoping to find people desperate to breathe new life in their older PCs and are having good enough luck with it to keep doing it. It is often cheaper to just buy a whole used PC and scavenge the parts you want from it - companies often ditch still pretty decent machines at surprisingly low prices. Shipping to somewhere you may be able to pick that up could be an issue though.
Thank You for the reply!, my cpu is a i5-3330S by the way, not i3, i will try searching for the cpu you mentioned, if possible, scavenge parts from another!

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
I do NOT recommend buying second-hand K (overclockable) CPU's off ebay, and certainly NOT from places like Overclock.net market place.

The reason for that is, you will be buying a seven year old K CPU (3770k) which, judging from my experience in forums such as overclock.net and mmo champion, will have been very likely ran at ridiculous voltages for 7 years straight. This fact combined with the fact that most people use insufficient or stock coolers (the 3770k shipped with a stock cooler) results into SEVERELY DEGRADED CPU's.

A used 3770k & 4770k sells for around 200 Euros. Having paid that amount of money, what you will get will be a CPU with very little overclocking headroom left that requires a ridiculous amount of voltage for mild overclocks or in worst cases of very degraded cpus, a voltage bump up JUST TO KEEP AT STOCK CLOCKS.

From what I recall at overclock.net, everyone and their little sister used to run these cpus at a ridiculous 1.40V Vcore while at the same ime denying that the phenomenon of degradation through electromigration is even real.

Your best bet is therefore to buy either a BRAND NEW 3770K if you can find one, or even better buy a new CPU, mobo and RAM (Coffee Lake, Kaby Lake or RYZEN 2).

InvalidError

Titan
Best bet for lga1155 right now, considering the almost certain abuse of K cpus, is either a stock i7-3770 non K, or a Xeon E3 1270v2
Pretty much. You can get entire pre-owned HP, Dell, etc. PCs with an i7-3770 in it for cheaper than used 3770k. Since those make it nearly impossible to abuse the CPU and are usually sold as working condition, you are almost guaranteed a still perfectly good CPU.

Reactions: Banned by Net

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I was just about to say nabbing a prebuilt 3770 or even 2600 pc would probably be cheaper than the 3770k itself. Yes, it's always a risk too all these years later people having abused the chip by OC. Xeon e3 1270v2 would be a safe bet if your mobo supports it, as well as the slightly cheaper 1230v2 or 1230, they're essentially i7's with no iGPU

1155 still has life left in it if you throw an 8 thread cpu in it. Been contemplating getting a new mobo myself for my 2600k, excellent cpu and a beast when OC'ed.