Question Good cpu?

Apr 10, 2019
So this morning I ordered my CPU cooler and motherboard aswell as my case ( i am reusing my PSU, HDD, and SSD and RAM to save money) my motherboard that i ordered was the MSI z390- A pro and the cpu cooler was a Deepcool captain 240ex white liquid cpu cooler and was wondering what would be a good CPU at a good price to play games such as apex, mainly overwatch and what not, (GPU is a 780ti because I am also saving up for a newer gpu), my current cpu is a ryzen 5 1600, what kind of performance in fps for overwatch could you estimate with 8GB of ram (upgrading to 16 once i can afford). What kind of fps could I expect upgrading cpu because currently on all low settings on some maps i am struggling to get 100 which is smooth but choppy and hard to play sometimes?

Either the 8700k or 9700k would be good choices for that board AND should offer you at least moderately better FPS where core IPC is a factor. Both have plenty of cores and threads and the single core performance is better than Ryzen by a fair measure so it should offer moderately better FPS in situations where CPU performance is the limiting factor.

Honestly, right now your GPU is the biggest problem. There is NO CPU that is going to help with FPS, depending on what resolution and settings, with that card. Honestly, I'd have probably recommended buying the graphics card first, but since you've already bought the board it should give you an increase in FPS with either of those two CPUs when running at lower settings.

Apr 10, 2019
So do you think I could atleast get 144 fps constant? because I plan on getting a new gpu but for now that is all I have to work with, plus the cpu shoulder perofrm better witht eh liquid cooling. so could I expect to get my refresh rate of my moniter of 144fps or more constant?

Possibly. Nobody can tell you that for sure. There is no cookie cutter method for determining FPS on any given system. It could depend on other factors as well such as how clean the OS is, how long it's been since you did a clean install of the OS, how much memory you have, how clean all the driver frameworks are and that all drivers are up to date without a lot of historical driver versions to clutter up the framework and OS registry settings.

What type of drive you have could be a factor as well. If you are running games off a HDD rather than an SSD, then anytime the game needs to draw data from the drive you're going to see some stutters or drops in FPS as well as much slower loading times between levels etc. There isn't a single hardware component that "fixes" all problems. High performance is a result of having ALL the hardware, AND the operating system, evenly matched and capable of sustaining the level of performance you are looking for.

Apr 10, 2019
i think i am running overwatch off my SSD but I can't remember, when I get home today I will check, if it isn't I will just reinstlal it on my ssd, but I think it might be on my HDD, would buying an m.2 for some games be a better option to have dedicated to specific games and then the ssd for other programs? would it be worth it trying to get every last drop of possible performance on a reasonabel budget

M.2 doesn't really help gaming. Maybe a little, in some areas where a lot of textures or data gets loaded, but other than that the performance is going to mostly be down to CPU, graphics card and memory. The difference going from SATA SSD to M.2, for gaming, is not in line with what we see going from HDD to SATA SSD. Past normal SATA SSD bus speeds, there are diminishing returns for gamers except when large data loads are required such as between levels, maps, startup loading, etc.