Good deal or Something wrong?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I have had good experiences with Kingston ram and am looking for 2gb (2x1gb) or ram for a DS3 based machine.

This 2gb DDR667 kit costs $170

but a kit containing only one of the modules in the above one costs Just 70 dollars?

It seems that I can get the same RAM for 30 dollars less, and with seperate warranties (I can send either one back seperately if an issue comes up instead of having to RMA the whole 2gigs.)

btw. They are 1.8v ;)

sound good or no?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
All i can guess is they'll tell you there a matched pair or in otherwords they should perform the exact same and will of course work together. of course that should be the case anyway but hey, who knows...

you have to pay shipping for two things now, not just one..

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
All i can guess is they'll tell you there a matched pair or in otherwords they should perform the exact same and will of course work together. of course that should be the case anyway but hey, who knows...

you have to pay shipping for two things now, not just one..

Yea, but its still cheaper. Any drawbacks though?

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
When they bundle the two, they are tested in the factory as a pair... so you are less likely to run into compatibility problems.

The two sticks in seperate packages should work just fine. They are just a tiny bit more likely to have a compatibility issue since they would not have been tested together.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
When they bundle the two, they are tested in the factory as a pair... so you are less likely to run into compatibility problems.

The two sticks in seperate packages should work just fine. They are just a tiny bit more likely to have a compatibility issue since they would not have been tested together.

Has anyone here tried to pair two sticks of ram that were not bought together in a package and ran into compatability problems?

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
They should work fine... I wouldn't count on overclocking at all.

It's value RAM so you could get chips from any supplier and the 2 sticks could be different. The timings aren't listed so they could be anything.... In the worst case senario, you might have to manually set the timings on both parts to the slowest common timings to get dual channel to work reliably.

I'd say your risk is low.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
They should work fine... I wouldn't count on overclocking at all.

It's value RAM so you could get chips from any supplier and the 2 sticks could be different. The timings aren't listed so they could be anything.... In the worst case senario, you might have to manually set the timings on both parts to the slowest common timings to get dual channel to work reliably.

I'd say your risk is low.

I would think that if I bought 2 of those sticks from newegg that their timings would be identical, right? Maybe I should go ask Kingston...

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Odds are that if you buy 2 sticks at the same time, they will be identical. Not guaranteed though.

Value ram is a big bucket of commodity chips bought at rock bottom prices from a street vendor in south korea... Or something like that.

I have 2 sticks of value ram that have worked great. They did turn out to be identical though.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Odds are that if you buy 2 sticks at the same time, they will be identical. Not guaranteed though.

Value ram is a big bucket of commodity chips bought at rock bottom prices from a street vendor in south korea... Or something like that.

I have 2 sticks of value ram that have worked great. They did turn out to be identical though.

Yep,I have 2 Kingston KVR kits and the chips are from different manufacturers,still work great though.

Mondoman

Splendid

I would think that if I bought 2 of those sticks from newegg that their timings would be identical, right? Maybe I should go ask Kingston...
Yes, you'll almost certainly just get the next 2 packages from the box, so they should be effectively identical. According to newegg, either version is CL5.

You might also consider something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590#spec
DDR2-800, CL5, 1.9V spec, $165 AR, free shipping. I would think you should be able to get these to run at CL4 at DDR2-667, as long as running at 1.8V is not a key issue for you.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Yes, you'll almost certainly just get the next 2 packages from the box, so they should be effectively identical. According to newegg, either version is CL5.

You might also consider something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590#spec
DDR2-800, CL5, 1.9V spec, $165 AR, free shipping. I would think you should be able to get these to run at CL4 at DDR2-667, as long as running at 1.8V is not a key issue for you.

Yea, 1.8v is always an issue with P965 boards. I just want to make sure that they will work. I have had 2/2 good experiences with Kingston so Ill stick with them.